The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:50:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLD- Awaiting Pickup -GATES BC-500G AM transmitter for sale in Kilmarnock, VA  (Read 1788 times)
K2DUV

« on: August 07, 2022, 04:01:21 PM »

About 10 years ago at age 75, I purchased this Gates BC-500G AM transmitter from WRAR.  It was owned and operated by WRAR on 1000 KHz in Tappahannock, VA from the day it was new until I purchased it.  It is physically in very nice condition and is enclosed in its original cabinet. It is not dented or rusty. It is quite clean.  All the transformers and chokes are present.

Shortly after I got it, I fired it up into a dummy load and it developed 500 Watts RF output at 1000KHz.  In attempting to test the modulator, I managed to burn up a bias transformer and set the project aside while I located one to replace it.  I now have an original and identical Gates transformer to replace it but have decided to sell the BC500G rather than continue with its restoration.  I suspect that little needs to put it back on the air as it was functioning as the WRAR back-up transmitter right up to the time I purchased it.  I have made no modifications to the BC-500G other than connect it to a 230V power plug. I do have the mica capacitors needed to move the output frequency to the 160M band.

The transmitter comes with an extra pair 807s and three extra 833As.  The extra 833A's were tested and produced 500W RF output.
The Gates BC500G is essentially the same as the BG1G except that it is 500W output instead of 1000 Watts output .  It uses a single 833A RF as RF amplifier and a pair of 833As as modulator. Still this should provide near legal input in amateur service. There is room to install a second 833A RF amplifier if desired but this is probably not necessary.

The Gates BC500G is physically the same size as the BC1G and weighs about 1000 pounds.  Anyone who purchases this transmitter will need a crew and a vehicle to move it from my garage to its new home.

I am selling this transmitter with spares for $500.  Contact me at floydhollister(at)gmail.com or call me at eight-oh-four, four-3-5, eighty-seven-twenty-nine. 73, K2DUV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015