The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:44:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen set screws on Heathkit DX 60B  (Read 3056 times)
VA3AEX
Contributing

« on: July 13, 2022, 01:18:07 PM »

I am refurbishing a Heathkit DX 60b. Its complete but in pretty rough condition: looks like it sat in a shed for years.

In pulling it apart I have run into several knobs with stubbornly frozen set screws. I've been spraying in a bit of WD40 and letting it soak for several nights. While it worked to get some of the knobs off, two remain frozen/stuck. Any suggestions?

Also the cabinet is a very ratty. Has anyone found a color match/code to that Heathkit green? I'm thinking of having a local paint store put together some cans of spray paint.

Alex VA3AEX
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 05:49:45 PM »

My latest go-to product for loosening stubborn screws is an aerosol called Deep Creep.  Get it at the auto parts store.  It seems to work quite a bit better than either WD40 or PB Blaster and doesn't smell too bad either.  I'd spray some on a Q-Tip and let it wick in and sit for a few hours.  If you can get just a bit on a toothpick and get it onto the shaft behind the knob you might gain by going after it from both ends.  It does indeed creep.
73 de Norm W1ITT
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 06:24:16 AM »

You might also try heating the knobs in hot tap water.  Your soaking both the shaft and set screw is eventually going to work.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »

I had some setscrews on a Valiant they didn't want to play nice.

I used a fluid similar to DeepCreep (my own formula) and wicked it to the top of the set screw and then tilted the cabinet to apply some to the back of the knob on the shaft.

I then used a soldering iron tip directly in contact with the set-screw for about 10 seconds.

I did this twice in two days and the set screws finally let loose.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 02:16:53 PM »

I work at a pharmaceutical company where there are plenty of chemicals to cause corrosion. We use a product here called Kroil, (AKA Weasel Piss, Millwright's aftershave). Without a doubt it works. We get it in gallon cans but I don't know if its available in smaller quanities.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 02:52:19 PM »

Got some Deep Creep this morning at the auto parts store. Before applying I checked to see if the additional overnight soaking in WD40 had any impact: no joy. So went ahead and applied some Deep Creep and after about 5 min. of soaking I was able to get the set screws to move, and the knobs off.

Thanks all for the tips! 73 Alex VA3AEX
W1ITT

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 04:58:49 PM »

Yup, Kroil is a good product.  You can get it in 8 ounce cans from gun places.  I use it for gun cleaning and to wipe just a bit on them for storage.
I've run a bit of Deep Creep down the bore with a patch a few times and it usually loosens just a bit more dirt.  Deep Creep has been great around the tractor and implements.  I should try some on my back to see if it loosens things up.
Alex:  My first Novice License transmitter was a DX60 that I rented for $3 per month until I could get hold of a Globe Scout.  Three FT243 crystals and I thought I was pretty hot stuff.  Glad that you were able to bust that knob loose without busting it.
73 de Norm W1ITT
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 08:14:52 PM »

I kinda remember a problem with Collins set screws not cooperating. Maybe something to do with liquid thread lock. The solution was to heat up the bristol wrench a bit and place it in the screw cup to transfer heat which melted the lock. This is in line with the suggestion mentioned above.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 09:14:36 PM »

Claw hammer works too  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 08:40:09 PM »

So what happened here?  You get the knob off?  Kroil? Claw hammar?  And how is the DX60B coming? 
VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »

Deep Creep worked well and within 5 minutes of application I had the set screws moving. DX60 work has been on pause as I deal with other projects. 73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015