The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:34:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sussex  (Read 6087 times)
KD1SH

« on: July 08, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »

Nine days before the Sussex 'fester. Who's going?

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 06:52:08 PM »

I am ….
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 07:58:55 PM »

Me too. My QTH is only a half hour from the fairgrounds.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 09:18:32 PM »

I will be there inside, next to KJI Electronics. I'll have over 400 $1 manuals(5 pages or 500 pages just a $1). Also a box of original Heathkit and other manufacturers manuals - all $5 or less.

Need Flex manuals - I'm the only authorized printer and distributor - Special hamfest pricing

If you're into difficult and mind blowing 1000 piece puzzles, I'll have a bunch there too.

Plan to bring a bunch of parts too.

I'll also be at the Piscataway hamfest tomorrow, 7/9/22: www.w2qw.org

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 09:55:39 PM »

Although its a distance, I may attempt to go. Where is it being held?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 12:17:19 AM »

SUSSEX HAMFEST:

http://www.scarcnj.org/downloads/hamfest%20flyer.pdf

KD1SH

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 11:37:26 AM »

It's a very good show; almost as big as Nearfest, but unlike Nearfest there's little tree-cover for shade, so wide-brimmed hats and sunscreen are recommended, otherwise by the end of the day you might be glowing like the plate of a 4-1000 during a long old-buzzard transmission.

Although its a distance, I may attempt to go. Where is it being held?

KD1SH

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 10:35:07 AM »

Heathkit manuals - HX-30 by any chance?

I will be there inside, next to KJI Electronics. I'll have over 400 $1 manuals(5 pages or 500 pages just a $1). Also a box of original Heathkit and other manufacturers manuals - all $5 or less.

Need Flex manuals - I'm the only authorized printer and distributor - Special hamfest pricing

If you're into difficult and mind blowing 1000 piece puzzles, I'll have a bunch there too.

Plan to bring a bunch of parts too.

I'll also be at the Piscataway hamfest tomorrow, 7/9/22: www.w2qw.org

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »

Due to family obligations it looks as though I will be unable to attend Sussex! Damn!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD1SH

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 04:51:40 PM »

Weather's looking pretty much like it does every Sussex 'fest: sun/clouds in the AM; chance of storms later in the afternoon, long after we're all out of there. Looking forward to it.

KD1SH

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 07:01:15 PM »

'Twas the night before Sussex... Weather still looks typical for a mid-summer's day: sun in the morning, clouds and maybe a thunderstorm much later.
   Getting up at 0200; meeting a friend for the ride down, and on the road by 0300; be there shortly after 0600.
   It's a long day, even though I won't be doing the driving. Home by late afternoon; in bed early; recover on Monday while exploring my newly acquired booty. Retired as of July 1st, so I can do that!
   As always, look for the day-glow orange.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 07:55:35 PM »

Congrats on the retirement, Bill.  I retired 16 years ago in June, and I still say RETIREMENT is the best job I ever had.  Make the most of it!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KD1SH

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 07:56:04 PM »

Thanks for the congrats, Rick, and thanks also to Pete, WA2CWA, who I met at Sussex this morning.
  I don't know if it was like that for you, but after my first two weeks of retirement, it still feels weird to me. It's not that I'm any sort of "workaholic" but rather that I just don't feel physically ready for retirement. I guess in my younger days I always imagined that, by retirement age, I'd be feeling worn out, broken down, and suffering more effects of the natural aging process. My wife certainly is - we both worked in the same place and retired on the same day - she's got arthritis in both knees and one shoulder and her eyes aren't what they used to be. She simply can't do it anymore.
  But here I am; at sixty-six I can easily walk ten miles; maintain a regular hour-long weight workout routine on alternate days; ride a bicycle for hours - though maybe not at the same intensity as in my racing days - and just generally don't feel like I should be - or deserve to be - retiring. I'm feeling almost guilty about it.
  But, I can't leave my poor wife sitting home all alone (and ordering stuff from Amazon  Wink)while I go off to work every day. Not blaming it on her - she surely deserves it - but it just feels like I'm not ready.
  But on the other hand, it's growing on me. The regrets at separating from my friends at work and leaving a familiar and comfortable work environment are rapidly fading, replaced by a feeling of unrestrained freedom I haven't felt since I was a kid on summer vacation. My days are full and productive and I go off to bed at the end of every day feeling fulfilled and - truth be told - more ready for a night's sleep than when I was working.
  Yeah, I think I can do this...

Congrats on the retirement, Bill.  I retired 16 years ago in June, and I still say RETIREMENT is the best job I ever had.  Make the most of it!

KD1SH

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 10:47:31 AM »

Sussex went well. No rain, more sun than clouds - at least while we were there - though a bit hot and stuffy. I don't think the turnout was quite as good as it's been. Met Pete, WA2CWA. Didn't come across any other AM regulars.
  Came home with a 4-1000 and two chimneys; a whole box of nice looking 813's; a nice Gates high voltage supply choke (heavy) and a couple of very nice 4KV oil-filled caps; an assortment of 811's (for my Zeus modulator) and 807's; and the usual assortment of panel meters. The friend I rode down with had a big spread of stuff, which sold very well. All in all a great day. Next stop: Marlborough/Boxboro (MoxBoro).

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:13 AM »

Any pictures??

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KD1SH

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »

I keep meaning to bring my camera to hamfests, but always forget.

Any pictures??

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 03:53:10 PM »

Any pictures??

You might try Googling:
sussex hamfest 2022 pictures
I saw several links already; probably will be more as the week progresses.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 04:22:23 PM »

Thanks for the congrats, Rick, and thanks also to Pete, WA2CWA, who I met at Sussex this morning.
Great meeting you for the first time Bill. Thanks for stopping by my corner.
It was a long and busy day for me. When I got home, I crashed on the couch for several hours.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 12:52:42 AM »

OK, I'm waiting. Who came home from Sussex with what treasures? The closest I got to the outside flea market area was the building large doors. It looked big, lots of people everywhere, and hot.

I was great to see people from nearby states that I hadn't seen since before 2016 which was the last time I was able to attend Sussex.
It's nice to be greeted with "Wow! You're still alive" and "Where's your hair?"  Cheesy

KD1SH

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 08:41:21 AM »

Great meeting you, too, Pete. This was my fourth Sussex event, so we've probably crossed paths up there a number of times but didn't know it.
  Same here, early bedtime Sunday evening. Very long day, even though I wasn't driving. Unpacking and repacking all my friend's stuff in the heat was pretty intense, though it was great that less went back in than came out. He had a good selling day.
  I didn't see any other regulars there, but I'm sure Jim, WA2MER was there, since he lives close by. Didn't see Andy, WA2CDL; hope everything's alright with him. Didn't see Janis or Stephanie, either; they're usually there. Then again, I'm usually running around blinded by all the hardware, anyway, so unless I actually bang right into someone, I'm often pretty oblivious.

Great meeting you for the first time Bill. Thanks for stopping by my corner.
It was a long and busy day for me. When I got home, I crashed on the couch for several hours.

KD1SH

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2022, 08:48:34 AM »

My modest treasure finds are listed a few posts up. Nothing too exciting, but useful stuff. The last time I came home from a hamfest with a "Oh my God I can't believe I found this!" item was last year at Marlborough, when I came home with the Lil'Lulu transmitter.

OK, I'm waiting. Who came home from Sussex with what treasures? The closest I got to the outside flea market area was the building large doors. It looked big, lots of people everywhere, and hot.

I was great to see people from nearby states that I hadn't seen since before 2016 which was the last time I was able to attend Sussex.
It's nice to be greeted with "Wow! You're still alive" and "Where's your hair?"  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015