The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Search Of: Unique Equipment Manuals  (Read 4465 times)
N1BCG

« on: June 20, 2022, 02:27:32 PM »

Up until now, I believed the internet had *everything* imaginable, and even some unimaginable things. However, two equipment manual searches have failed so I'm resorting to posting an All-Points Bulletin for anyone who has any information for leads on these documents.

All the usual places have been tried including Bama, manualsonline, etc.

1) Harris MSP90 FM Stereo Limiter

There are many of these out there so it's astonishing how hard it is to find one although I do have the schematic, just no information on alignment, etc. Note that several Harris products are called "MSP90", for some reason, but it's the FM stereo limiter configuration that I have.

2) Panasonic AM Stereo Signal Generator VP-8253P

This is truly one of the most unique items I have ever come across. It can generate up to 100mW of CQUAM, independent sideband (Khan), and other modes with precise frequency, output, pilot, and modulation control. Amazing, yet there's no manual, so if anything goes wrong, well...

Any help in locating manuals or service manuals for either or both of these would be greatly appreciated!

* harris-msp-90-stereo-fm-limiter.jpg (472.32 KB, 1438x512 - viewed 166 times.)

* VP-8253P.jpg (1197.42 KB, 3918x1483 - viewed 206 times.)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 09:27:32 AM »

I might be able to help you with the Panasonic piece as I work for Panasonic. The division that made that piece of equipment is long gone.

This one is going to be very tough.  Panasonic originally built its own because there were none on the market.  Later, the test equipment factory did build one for general sale, the one you have, but not so popular, since AM Stereo did not become popular.

Now into my 43rd year with the company I know who the pack rats are in Japan. I’ll send an email out this afternoon and see if anyone might have a copy of the document. Japan has a mandatory, age 60, retirement policy, so many of my contacts have long since retired. Fortunately. I am good friends with the former product manager for test equipment. He's retired and living in Florida, but still keeps in touch with hie contacts.

Stay tuned ...
N1BCG

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »

^^^^ THAT gets the WOW AWARD, absolutely!

I'll say this, regardless of the outcome, your gesture will not be forgotten.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:14 PM »

So my contacts at Panasonic Canada already got back to me. They called me an old fart! Seriously, a few never knew that we made test equipment. I still have and use my Panasonic 4 channel 100 mhz scope and my signal generator. FYI, these all go back about 40 years. Three e-mails already sent to Japan. The fortunate thing is that if they can find a paper copy, one of them will be coming to the US during the week of July 10. I'll be joining him in Florida for some product training.

I'll keep you posted - stay positive!
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 09:29:46 PM »

So I got one response from one of my contacts in Japan. He explained that Panasonic sold off the test equipment business about 38 years ago. All the assets were transferred, so there aren’t any printed copies available. He knew of copies on microfiche, but is unsure if they were even in English. He’s going to check some of the labs because he believes some may still be in use!

But wait, the story takes a slight turn in a positive direction. Here’s a link to the manual, in Japanese
;-(  I’m wondering if Google translate can work with this?

https://y-d.co.jp/jpdf2/VP-8253A.pdf

I still have two more feelers out. Stay tuned for Act 2!
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:12:54 AM »

Clark
This morning I got a e-mail from the former product manager in Japan. The Japanese manual I provided a link to is the only manual that was ever created for the public version. English translations were created for North American shipments, one manual foreach unit - no extras. He told me that Google translate will work for documents less than 10 MB, so you will need to split this document. It appears that this is as good as it will get. Also, the service manual was never released.

I hope this helps.
N1BCG

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 08:50:03 AM »

WOW, Part II...

I feel that I'm getting some quite authoritative answers and appreciate how far this has come in such short time. I wasn't aware that a pdf could be translated, but I've also never tried, so this will be another learning experience. The alternative is to look for an on-line Japanese language course beginning with "good morning, how are you" and culminating with mastery of terms like "quadrature modulation". Hot saki in hand...

Fortunately, operation is pretty self-explanatory and I've already used it to check the accuracy of various modulation monitors, and the AM Stereo sounds *amazing* on my car radio (2003 Taurus). Brings back those 1980s memories of taking the local AM station stereo. Good times!

THANK YOU for all your help!!!!
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »

One more link that I just got, for the sales brochure

https://y-d.co.jp/jpdf1/VP-8253A_c.pdf

FYI I never knew that Google could translate documents either, but so I was told.

WB6NVH

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 12:33:10 PM »

This happens to all of us who like to accumulate unusual test gear and radios.  My personal hit parade includes Meguro of Japan, well made professional test gear but no manuals for any of it!  Test gear from Korea by Han Dok  Instrument Electric?  Forget it.  What is it even?  Who knows.  Radios are not exempt either.  The Hughes Mitchell XEC VFO-Exciter from 1940. Competitor to the Meissner Signal Shifters.  Apparently a spare original set of the Dead Sea Scrolls would be more common than the data pages for this.  Hull Marine HF SSB radios. Save for a couple of models, manuals for the rest are simply impossible to find.  The Dentron Scout HF SSB utility radio.  No one has seen a manual and one may not even exist.    This is why whenever I find a rare manual I scan and send it to BAMA or host it on my website.

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »

I totally agree. It’s getting better, but I’ve been involved in many similar situations. Asian companies don’t do a good job when it comes to documentation. What can I say, I’m a pack rat and sometimes it pays off. When you’ve been with a company long enough, people come to you for help just because you know who and where to look!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 06:01:01 PM »

In our radio hobby, various Asian companies have done an excellent job of providing manuals in multiple languages depending on the countries the products are targeted to be sold in. If a company targets product sales in certain countries or certain parts of he world, they should provide documentation appropriate for that country or area. If they don't; shame on them. However, with the birth of Ebay and similar venues over the last 25 to 30 years, equipment that was targeted only for a specific country when it was introduced, has  now found its way to places where it was never intended to go.

Personally, if I see something radio-related for sale on the used market, I always check if documentation is available from somewhere (if I don't have it) before I make the purchase.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 01:20:31 AM »

You have a very rare piece of test gear.

This was one of the few test gears that were developed in anticipation of the various AM Stereo systems that were being proposed as an AM Stereo standard.

It was a piece of test gear that supposedly covered all bases for all of the proposed systems.

In my view, the FCC made the stupid decision to let the market decide and then it further dropped the ball when the Motorola C-QUAM was judged as the de facto standard without establishing receiver standards for this system.

Otherwise, we could have had a good analog AM stereo standard.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
N1BCG

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »

In my view, the FCC made the stupid decision to let the market decide and then it further dropped the ball when the Motorola C-QUAM was judged as the de facto standard without establishing receiver standards for this system.

I totally agree. C-QUAM should not have been the standard as ISB had already been viable for years. I even became friends with Leonard Kahn and helped him develop a demonstration tape to send to broadcasters. But, Motorola had the money muscle and slowly the market moved over to C-QUAM.

In our radio hobby, various Asian companies have done an excellent job of providing manuals in multiple languages depending on the countries the products are targeted to be sold in.

"To increase loudness, place volume control knob between thumb and forefinger then rotate opposite of counterclockwise until pleased".

Yep. I ready that in a manual.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 01:31:38 PM »

The Sony translations were also straightforward if not interesting, and in the carton with new CRTs for projection displays was a caution sheet. Aside from the usual X-ray warning, it cautioned against mishandling. "Do not hit hard a CRT surface". What's not to like?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015