The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos - 2022 Dayton/Xenia hamfest and Fair Radio  (Read 6182 times)
K4NYW
Contributing

« on: May 22, 2022, 05:27:00 PM »

Fair Radio
https://photos.app.goo.gl/evEz4y7bGwsjCw7Z8
Hamfest
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JcQw86War4py9XkH6

Cheers,
Nick K4NYW

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 05:47:48 PM »

Couldn't make it this year so thanks for the great pics.

I like the Astro-Blaster tent anchor.

--- Post No Bills ---
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »

Thanx for the photos. Did anyone here besides myself find the photos of Fair Radio depressing? So much stuff that no one will want just piled up and waiting on electronics death row for the inevitable.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 10:48:25 PM »

Thanx for the photos. Did anyone here besides myself find the photos of Fair Radio depressing? So much stuff that no one will want just piled up and waiting on electronics death row for the inevitable.

Jim, I had the same thoughts as you when I looked at the pictures. A lot of that stuff seems so tired from years collecting dust.

My first trip to Fair was in 1972 when I was 16 years old. They were on Eureka street back then. I likely saw things different then, and it was so exciting!

Now that I am an OM, I see things a lot differently today.

Jim
Wd5JKO
k3msb

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »

Did anyone here besides myself find the photos of Fair Radio depressing? So much stuff that no one will want just piled up and waiting on electronics death row for the inevitable.

Back in 2018 I drove to Indy for a funeral and stopped by Fair Radio on the way home.   They had, and still have, a PP-4763 28V power supply sitting on the floor.   The unit weighs over 100 pounds so shipping is not practical.   I went to the counter and said "You've had that sitting there for years.   What's your best price?"    The guy looked it up and quoted me the same price, then walked away to do some paperwork.    

Let's see, you've had this beast sitting on the floor for years, and I have my car and cash in wallet, and you don't even want to dicker on the price, just walk away?  That told me a bit about how interested they are in selling stuff.  

The next year I drove to western Ohio to meet someone enroute to the Hamvention as he had some Navy receivers for me.   After doing some trunk to trunk transfers in a shopping mall parking lot, we spent some time chatting.   He had a big Suburban filled with old Mil gear and said quite a few pieces where headed to Fair Radio as the owner was buying them, and the owner had some things for him.

I wonder if a lot of Fair Radio's business is non-walk in.  Considering the location, and what it's selling,  I wouldn't find that too hard to believe.

Still, turning your back on a customer with cash in his wallet that wants to give you some is bad business and, regardless of what you're selling, is what the customer remembers.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 10:08:37 AM »

Thanks for posting the pix, Nick. That Johnson 500 looks in good cosmetic condition. Do you happen to recall the asking price?

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
K8CCA

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 11:37:51 AM »

Nice pic's.  Got some of my table in there (I had the Hallicrafters Louden boomer for sale, which I sold Sat afternoon).  I had a ball there and brought 2 Hammarlund Super Pro's back home with me (still not sure what I was thinking lol).  
Detroit47

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 06:00:19 PM »

Thanks for posting the pix, Nick. That Johnson 500 looks in good cosmetic condition. Do you happen to recall the asking price?

I saw it he wanted with 1200.00 no supply.

Johnathan N8QPC
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 11:36:52 PM »

GREAT PICS  Nick!!!

Thank you for taking the time to not only take, but post all of them.   

I was last there in '13 and plan to go again next year.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 06:57:58 PM »

Dang, Nick! Some fine shots there...

And, a few things I would have wanted to haggle over!

Who got those two minty fresh looking R-390As that were on their side in the back of the truck??
And how much?

Asking prices looked high...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KA3EKH

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 10:25:59 AM »

A friend of mine had two R-390A receivers for sale out the back of our truck and did not sell them. One was a overhauled 390A and the other was a Collins 390A that had a audio issue, have that one back at the shack and am going to look at it and try to sort it out for him because for some reason people think the Collins 390A is better than the others?
Think he wanted like $500 and $400 or something like that but I told him in advance that trying to sell R-390A receivers at Dayton is like trying to sell a Ham Sandwich at a All you can eat Buffet. Think there must have been at least a dozen R-390A receivers at the show at various prices.
Back in seventeen I brought a truckload of R-390A receivers to the Hamvention and sold all of them for $250 to $400 each as is.
All I can say is that if you wanted a R-390A receiver and went there without buying one I have no idea how that can happen.
That’s the one benefit of Ham Fest, you can buy for less than eBay and its cash and carry so with stupid heavy stuff as long as you can carry it that solves the shipping problem.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 03:11:00 PM »

I don't think the Collins 390As that I have had my hands on are anything special.
I prefer the EAC I currently run... but a good one is a good one, no matter what the
stamps or tags...

Tnx for that info...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 04:29:38 PM »

BERKELEY COUNTERS!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPwdP9I1J4dNwnUFriuyijCHxMj8Yi-NJByhz7VU9jaCG4MGISareIwJhSn55Az6A/photo/AF1QipMw3jJf0hwHx_rZV7SGmURfFoUP0XMMUBV0AqPJ?key=WUlMbHNBWHI1d3NaWDRsQkpkMXdQVmNwdVZLU21R

I was at Fair Radio in 2007. Has there been an addition to the facility or ? because I did not see some of those areas. There may have been, I dimly recall, a forbidden building which was said to be hazardous to enter as was the 'back yard', and it looked a bit shabby at the time. perhaps it has been refurbed and put in order?

It may be akin to the forbidden basement at the old location.

I can see that I should clear out about 200 sq ft more in my place and revisit.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA3EKH

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 03:40:36 PM »

The junk in the back room dose not appear to change much from year to year but the stuff up in the front coral changes a lot from year to year, was not there this last year but will be next year. Outside along side the building is a open section that was some form of outside lumber storage and there is an additional storage building but nothing is listed for sale and it appears that every now and then they drag a pallet or two of stuff from those storage buildings and brake them down in the back warehouse but looks like that has not taken place in a couple years. Today or at least in the last ten years all the action is out front by the counter in what looks like estate or ham fest purchases. The days of direct purchase in large lots from the government are long gone and never likely to return. They would rather destroy all communications equipment then sell, don’t know why maybe because they are dual use but do recall seeing lots of Harris RF-350K stuff for sale by individual radios by Government Liquidators but they are apparently gone now too.
I know that a lot of the newer Harris RF stuff I got came thru secondary sources like sales from other government agencies or contractors but the old traditional large surplus dumps will never happen again unless something big changes.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 12:37:50 PM »

Thanks for posting the pics Nick. I really enjoyed the hamfest collection of stuff and know I would not have escaped without making a few purchases if I had been there. As Jim MER mentioned, it was a little distressing seeing the Fair Radio pics as it kind of looks like it is sliding away into oblivion. I remember grabbing stuff from them now and then when I was piecing together projects 40 years ago. I always enjoyed the catalog/flyers they sent out.

At any rate, great fun looking at everything while sipping my second cup of coffee this morning!

73,  Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 12:25:13 PM »

...... it looked a bit shabby at the time. perhaps it has been refurbed and put in order?

Uh, no - I don't think *anything* at Fair has been refurbed or put in order!

FWIW, my photos from visits over the last 10 years are at
https://www.virhistory.com/ham/index.html#fair

This page has photos of the outside sheds and buildings.
https://www.virhistory.com/ham/fair-12-2.htm
Sometimes new stuff does get added to the sheds so it is always worth a look.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 04:58:31 PM »

Fair Radio always reminded me of Joe's Vortex, N3IBX(SK)! Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015