The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 m propagation has been excellent the last few nights until about midnight.  (Read 25443 times)
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« on: May 17, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »

20 m propagation has been excellent the last few nights until about midnight.

We need to have more AM activity on 14.325 MHz and above.

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »

Yes, it's been a while since we had the Monday evening 20m informal net. It was on 14330 +/- at around 6:30pm CST.

It usually took three tall stations spaced around the country to make things work.

It sure seems to me that the upper bands (15-10 in particular) are mostly void of stations when I listen, but 20m and 17m are usually more busy.

I need to dedicate some hardware up there to get on. Moving my daily 75m lashup back and forth is somewhat of a pain.

Jim
Wd5JKO
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 06:47:22 PM »

It usually took three tall stations spaced around the country to make things work.

I need to dedicate some hardware up there to get on. Moving my daily 75m lashup back and forth is somewhat of a pain.

Jim
Wd5JKO

Hi Jim,

Yes, having a dedicated 10-20M rig all tuned up for an antenna makes band changing painless.  I'm trying to set up something dedicated here for 20-10M.

I'm curious what the 20M USA tall ships are using for antennas and how high are they?   I'm trying to get a feel for what takeoff angles are important for general USA coverage.  I suspect that antennas too high (10 degree takeoff angles) will not be heard well and probably lower antennas (20-30 degrees TO) would be the better choice.   Of course when it comes to opening and closing the bands for DX, the higher antennas (lowest angles) are best.

I'm also looking into 0/180 degree stacked antenna phase switching to tap those higher angles when needed, but more complex to implement - but may be worth it.  A pair of stacked lazy H's open wire fed for 10-20M is haunting me.  Broad-banded, it would even work on 18 MHz, 24 MHz or 27 MHz with similar gain.  Wouldn't that be a hoot!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 06:45:07 PM »

I'm curious what the 20M USA tall ships are using for antennas and how high are they?   I'm trying to get a feel for what takeoff angles are important for general USA coverage.  I suspect that antennas too high (10 degree takeoff angles) will not be heard well and probably lower antennas (20-30 degrees TO) would be the better choice.   Of course when it comes to opening and closing the bands for DX, the higher antennas (lowest angles) are best.

Tom, when the band is good and open, a 100 watt station with a dipole qualifies as a tall Ship so long as the distance is right for a single hop, or maybe two hops.

In the old days, an AM'er with an 807 modulated by 6L6's could work the world on 20m. That changed with the store bought stuff and SSB. An 807 on AM next to a legal limit SSB station (usually clipping on peaks) is no match. So having some extra communication margin is nice to ward off QSB and stations moving in from below or above.

Jim
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 08:40:47 AM »

Last night was listening on 20M above 14.325, but no AM signals. Would have been a good night. 80M and 40M was totally dead due to static crashes and high noise. 20M was fairly calm.

DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 09:52:48 PM »

Last night was listening on 20M above 14.325, but no AM signals. Would have been a good night. 80M and 40M was totally dead due to static crashes and high noise. 20M was fairly calm.

I have crystals for 14.286, 14.320, 14.330, and 14.40 MHz for my Tube rigs.

For any other frequency, I have to use my Icom-7200.

It's unfortunate we don't don't have a "SKED" Message Center or Forum here.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
N4DJ

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 03:32:16 PM »

I have been listening on 20 off and on around 14,286 and 14,330 but not hearing any activity.
Only thing lately is some activity on 29,000. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015