The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:37:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1LO SK  (Read 5522 times)
W1JS

« on: May 13, 2022, 01:32:15 PM »

These notices are getting all too frequent these days... 

I learned today that Warren Stiles, W1LO (fka WA1RLO) passed away recently.  Warren lived here in the same town as me (Weare, NH).  I had known Warren for about 50 years.  Occasionally I used to see him down at the local post office. Unfortunately, I do not get on 75 meters these days and have not chatted with him on the air in a long time.  I usually see him at NEAR-Fest, but missed him at the recent NEAR-Fest. 

RIP OM,
Jack Sheehy (OBJ)
W1JS (fka WA1ALM)

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
W1IA

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 02:34:26 PM »

These notices are getting all too frequent these days... 

I learned today that Warren Stiles, W1LO (fka WA1RLO) passed away recently.  Warren lived here in the same town as me (Weare, NH).  I had known Warren for about 50 years.  Occasionally I used to see him down at the local post office. Unfortunately, I do not get on 75 meters these days and have not chatted with him on the air in a long time.  I usually see him at NEAR-Fest, but missed him at the recent NEAR-Fest. 

RIP OM,
Jack Sheehy (OBJ)
W1JS (fka WA1ALM)
I’m heartbroken. I just saw Warren at Nearfest. 😢
Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »

Warren is an example of a young fellow who took an interest in radio and electronics, pursued education and made a good career out of it all.  He worked in industry but mostly in communications, most recently taking care of mountaintop stations for the Gummint.  He knew what was in his radios and could fix them and had a wide range of interests within amateur radio.  Since his retirement he was developing his old buzzard skills and could rant away with the best of them.  Warren was a practicing Seventh Day Adventist, a group which holds Saturday as their holy day.    This was why he'd come to Hosstraders or Nearfest on Friday only.  That alone oughta be worth something when he got to the Pearly Gates.   Last month I had a work stopover in Guam at Adventist World Radio and had brought back a photo card showing a couple short wave curtains that I had worked with on a previous trip.  I'd hoped to pass it along to Warren at Nearfest but that just didn't happen. 
73 de Norm W1ITT
W1NB

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 09:11:13 PM »

This is so sad. I saw him briefly at NEARFest and spoke to him on the air a day or two later. He was a regular on 3705 in the morning but I’d not heard from him all week. He will be greatly missed.

Scott, W1NB
kf2vm

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 06:32:18 AM »

Wow, this is a shock. We hadn't heard him down on 3705 in a bit, so we thought he was playing with his new IC7300. (On the upper bands.)
 Just,..no words.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 08:14:21 AM »

I missed running into him at NEARFEST, which we then discussed on the air...
and I noticed that he was not on the air for a few days...

Anyone have a picture of Warren??

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3MMR

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 08:23:51 AM »

Man... All too frequent is right.

Perry

http://www.w3mmr.com

** Studio "A" - Anan 200D, Shure SM7B, AL80BX, Internal & External Processing <--> Studio "B" - Heath-Kit DX100, D-10/4, National NC-303 **
wy3d

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 08:28:20 AM »

Warren and I were first licensed around the same time in the mid 60’s. 
Very knowledgeable and I can’t begin to enumerate the number of times we have worked over the years
K2AEP

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 09:44:33 AM »

This is Sad News, I have Known Warren since the early Seventies when He was Working in the Keene Area for Motorola.I Spoke with Him often usually on the VHF spectrum. I Remember His former Wife Pam, when She and Warren Divorced, Pam left the Church and Warren remained a devout Parishioner up to the Time of His passing... We will all Miss His dynamic Personality.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 10:08:30 AM »

What a shock.  I had a very short drive exchange by with Warren as I drove past his spot on the way into Nearfest. Sadly, I did not get back down later on in the day to spend more time with him.  Enjoyed his company over the last several years on 3705 in the morning.  God Speed Warren…you are missed.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 03:57:29 PM »

Here’s a picture of Warren taken by Kevin K2XAM at last October’s Nearfest.  Love that hat Warren! 

* 18ECD10E-7158-4C4F-B8A5-6FDDD36BD8D2.jpeg (906.77 KB, 1224x1632 - viewed 410 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »

Sad to say Warren was not in the best of health.  He visited me a few years ago and we discussed several of his health issues.  We'll miss his presence on 75

Al
W2TRH

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 07:11:03 PM »

What a loss, such a nice guy, he will be missed for sure. I did speak with him at Near Fest, i remember last year at Near Fest we had some fun with a few Radio Shack Space Patrol walkie talkies, had fun re-living our Childhood for sure.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »

We are losing a unique personality... a funny guy always laughing and having fun.  

I've known Warren from back in the early 1970s on 75M.  He was a regular from "NoWeare"  NH.

Rest in peace, Warren.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 06:39:43 PM »

I have not posted anything on amfone for some time. I was one of the first to know. Jack,W1JS called the house and talked to my wife ,Marce. It hit her hard. I was out at the time. When I returned she told me the news, it was another punch to the gut. Too many of us are leaving. Yesterday Jack sent us an E mail RE: a sale of Warrens gear. The event is from 9AM til 1PM on Saturday June 4 at his home in Weare N.H. I am unable to be there, being that is on short notice. It is being handled by K1BKE CVRC radio club on behalf of Dale Clement AF1T. There are a few items I might want but, I would like to see it all go to those that want it. He  had the following: Heapshit gear.Cheyenne XMTR some what modified, Comanche RX with 6Khz FT101-E filter, HR 20 RX( he got that from me)and the matching transmitter ( Slopbucket mobile gear). HQ 110 RX with improved audio.Also a homebrew transmitter made up from a paging transmitter with a 4-400 in the PA. A rack mount DX 60 is used as the RF exciter. Power supply is half voltaged(bridge rectifier) to reduce power as an rf exciter. The modulator is a pair of 811s driven by a modified Heapshit Hi Fi mono audio amplifier that I did up using a Valiant mod xfmr to drive the 811s Mod XFMR is a BC 610 piece he got from me.He never really got it up and running as his vision was very poor, working on the gear is a real challenge Other equipment is a Warrior, SB 220, Drake L7 and an almost new Icom 7300.Other pieces are a Johnson Kilowatt Matchbox as well as a 275 watt Matchbox. I am sure there is more.The last time I visited Warren was about 15 years ago. Hopefully the equipment will find good homes. That's it...............................................................................Tim WA1HnyLR
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 10:08:07 PM »

I will miss Warren's fun personality.

May he Rest In Peace.

Dan
W1DAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015