The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navy TDE  (Read 8033 times)
KA3EKH

« on: September 02, 2021, 04:36:13 PM »

Sometimes you have to wonder if its brain damage or just senility? I cannot explain why but was considering making an offer on this WW2 Navy transmitter on the Bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165048265865?hash=item266da4ac89:g:NSEAAOSwsyxhJmAa

I always wanted a TDE transmitter to go with my HRO/RAS receiver set up and despite the fact that its way too big, heavy and inefficient making a whopping 35 or 40 watts of AM, that’s about one watt for every ten pounds where it would be a little more efficient on CW at maybe one watt per every three pounds but wait, I don’t do CW.
This thing looks like its been stored outside for the last fifty years and would speculate that every coil, transformer and choke is ruined and the only thing you getting for your money is a shell and that’s not all that good have to wonder just what it is that makes me think about making an offer in the first place. And if that’s not enough it would be a three-day road trip and cost at least $500.00 in gas, tolls and everything else.
The problem is that I have done the TCS, TBW and a bunch of other stuff including converting broadcast transmitters and for some weird reason now feel that my life would not be complete unless I get a TDE, maybe I can just settle on something like a BC-610 but that won’t go with my Navy HRO receiver.

Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »

Read your post slowly and carefully, and then tell us why you would consider that wreck for any price. Given all the parts that may have to be sourced and replaced to get that thing on the air, do you really think it will ever sail again? Admittedly I don't know you or anything about your motivation or fortitude, but if it was me I'd let the seller's survivors deal with disposing it rather than burdening my own with it.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 11:04:32 AM »

I agree. As a collector of too many junky things, I might haul it off for free but would not spend over $10 in gas to go get it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »

Yup! I'm with Pat. If you REALLY want it, email the people and tell'em if they pay for your gas and lodging you'll come and take it off their hands!
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »

The only way I'd even offer some coin on that is if I had a good one and wanted some spares.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA3EKH

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 01:40:17 PM »

Was thinking that maybe I would throw a $100 at it but now after council decided perhaps the best path is to do nothing. Think I would consider driving down and picking it up for free but that looks like about all I would do right now.
I did have an offer for a TCM that’s come up so maybe that’s the rout to go with wanting to do some form of huge over size WW2 transmitter that will go with the RAS receiver. Another option may be to do a BC-610 with the speech amplifier and a BC-342 receiver and have a SCR-299 set up, its weird being I have been collecting and doing military surplus radios for forty years now and at one point or another never owned a BC-342 or 312, tons of BC-348 receivers and newer stuff like R-390A sets that I have sold lots of at Dayton and other ham fest but the best I have ever done on the BC-342 was I owned one that was a perfect example with RA-20 power supply and shock mount for about two days before a friend saw it and had to have it.

W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »

Quit messing around, get a TBK. Wink

73DG

Ron NU6F

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 12:31:03 AM »

Well I was looking at it also.

For parts..

I'm restoring one now.

I've rebuilt the 3 phase motor and generator but had to bring the shaft coupling /fan unit to a machine shop to make a new collar.

It's been modified and I'm restoring everything to original.

It's what's missing for my Navy op posn #3

Like you say.

Crazy pounds per watt...
But we are suckers for anchors

Ron
NU6F
RENO
(land locked sailor,)

* 20220218_184552.jpg (1989.84 KB, 4000x1800 - viewed 362 times.)
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 12:36:53 AM »

Gorgeous rig!

There was one in my electronics classroom when was in high school , back in '66.

I went back a few years later, it was turned into a tool cabinet.

C'est la vie...

73DG

Ron NU6F

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 12:45:41 AM »

The TDE is on the air and along with the RAK,racking up DX and ragchews on 40 and 20cw.

The shack has a LOT higher ambient noise level now,  but
No real chirp,and only a slow drift after 15 minutes warm up.A few hundred hertz low drift and that's it.

It's got really nice AM also.Im really impressed at the supressor grid modulation efficiency .

This rebuild project was well worth the 3 months and all the knuckle busting.

Ron.NU6F

https://youtube.com/shorts/E28Qq_Ayb4M?feature=share

* 20220510_215715.jpg (1043.6 KB, 1741x3028 - viewed 314 times.)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »

I love the meters!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k3msb

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 08:21:46 AM »

Hi Ron

Very nice!  I ran a TBW-5 on CW until March and enjoyed shooting DX with it as well.

I took note of your comment about AM with modulating the suppressor grid.

I am now in the process of restoring a TBW-4 that has the Rectifier Modulator Unit and the modulator circuits are there.  It modulates the suppressor grid of the 803 for AM and I was wondering how that might sound.

Hopefully in the fall or winter we can have a TDE to TBW QSO or two!

Again, very nice job OM.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
W4EWH

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »

Sometimes you have to wonder if its brain damage or just senility? I cannot explain why but was considering making an offer on this WW2 Navy transmitter on the Bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165048265865?hash=item266da4ac89:g:NSEAAOSwsyxhJmAa

Maybe just Agent White: ever since I got home from Vietnam, I've been searching for the radios that were mounted in our jeeps at Fort Gordon, GA. when I was in MP school there in 1971. They had Dynamotors, and ran FM from about 25 MHz up to maybe 50 or so. Carbon mics, and I have never seen one like them since.

OM, it's just the fascination of the abomination. ;-)

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
WB6NVH

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 01:21:30 AM »

Maybe AN/VRC-19?  Big o.d. box suitable for a tank, VHF FM 25-50 or 150-174?  Found usually in MP Jeeps in the 60's?

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015