The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCA BTA-1R1 conversion....it's alive  (Read 1508 times)
K8DI
Contributing

« on: April 27, 2022, 02:05:07 PM »

Hey, just an update.  After dozens of hiccups and holdups, delays and other work taking my time, a busted wrist/surgery making doing stuff impossible even when I had time, and so forth, I made RF into a dummy load yesterday, on 80 and 40m, with the big grey box that is my RCA...  She tuned up easily with nice plate dips, the stepper motor remote tuning system worked perfectly (I had some fear it would puke from the RF getting into things), the AMX touchscreen interface to operate it worked, from a control and RF perspective, all that's left is tweaking.  I did the testing with pretty weak tubes, figuring if it got away from me I wouldn't be out too much.  Still saw 600w carrier on 40, more on 80m. I have a set of new finals for the RF, I'll test with those and go through the modulator setup (bias, etc.) this weekend.  If I am lucky, I may get to yell out a CQ sometime too!

Also this weekend I'll take a few new pictures.  I'm in the office today, so photos have to wait.

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 10:06:50 PM »

Congrats! 

I have a Gates 250C1 to do the same with.  Push pull 810's modulated by another pair.  In BC service it is rated at 250W out, but will easily do legal limit AM. 

Joe-GMS 

* Gates 250C1-r.jpg (79.16 KB, 548x968 - viewed 218 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 08:46:49 PM »

Congrats to you both.

I used to babysit an RCA BTA-1R1 (main) and a Gates BC500-GY (backup).

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015