The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:31:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest  (Read 4945 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: April 23, 2022, 04:04:10 PM »

Martha and I will be attending NEAR-Fest.  Looking forward to seeing many friends we have not seen since prior to Covid.

Who is planning on attending?

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 08:12:44 PM »

Wouldn't miss it for anything. Look for the day-glow orange.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 11:03:22 PM »

I will be there.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 11:18:57 AM »

If anyone is looking for any specific vintage gear, let me know.  I plan to be selling.  One item will be an SX-17 that I got from Joe Cro -N3IBX many years ago. Have tons of parts as well, including lots of iron, ie chokes and power transformers.  I have two SX-42's.  One would be a parts donor and the other a candidate for restoration.  Also a complete Majestic 20 chassis.    

All prices cheap!  Most of you know, I sell out usually in the first hour.  

Trying to find homes for some of my dup's / part rigs.  

Joe    

wa2pjp

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »

Really wish I could go but with the move to the new QTH and moving all the gear, I just can't make it.......Hopefully I will see you all in the fall.
Everyone have a good time.
73's
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »

I go up on Friday - crazy early - get in line; tilt the seat back and sleep until opening time. Stay late to avoid rush hour traffic; get home around 8:00 or 9:00; go to bed; get up on Saturday and do it all again, but this time with the wife (she won't do Friday). Wife and I will be retired in a couple months; thinking this might the last time for the craziness: get a place to stay nearby on Thursday and relax. Not sure where, though - don't really want to stay in Manchester.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 05:32:02 PM »

Lust-filled geeky radio photos!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/19T6MydDQha6W3cH9

Dan
W1DAN
W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »

Wife and I will be retired in a couple months; thinking this might the last time for the craziness: get a place to stay nearby on Thursday and relax. Not sure where, though - don't really want to stay in Manchester.

I stayed at a really nice AIRBNB rental about 1/2 hour away from Deerfield. It was an old house off Route 111A, please PM me if you want details.

W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
kd1nw
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 06:39:06 AM »

Thanks Dan,

Another NC-183R!  I also liked that home brew rig, the last 3 or 4 pics..  very cool.

Kevin
KD1SH

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 01:46:27 PM »

Yet another memorable Nearfest. Thanks, Mr. Mike, and the whole crew, for making it happen, and a special thank you for that wonderful recognition you gave to my friend Mike, NV1C, at the end of the day on Saturday. That was a very special thing for him; I heard that he talked about it all the way home.

KD1SH

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 02:23:10 PM »

One of the best recent Nearfests. Met a few AM'ers that I hadn't met before, including Steve, WA1STH; Mark WA2FXM; and Ross, W1EKG. As always, unfortunately, missed a bunch more, including Joe, W3GMS.

Came home with probably more stuff than I should have; took me almost an hour to unload the truck Friday evening, to get ready for Saturday.

Thanks to Mark, WA2FXM, I came home with the entire compliment of Gates BC-1T iron, from the plate transformer to the mod transformer and reactor and everything in between. My legs will remember those hand-truck trips up "Wheelchair Hill" for a while.

From Brown, W1NZR - who had a great spread of "Super High Interest Telecom" gear - I picked up a somewhat worse-for-wear - but still full of great parts - BTI LK-2000.

Brown also had a super-sweet Eldico TR-1 TV - a very nice AM transmitter - that I missed out on, but that's fine 'cause I don't think I would have had any more room in the truck. Dan has a picture of it in his post up above.

Also picked up a very nice HB 4-1000 amplifier, complete with tube and chimney; minus power supply, but I've got that covered. Very nice construction, and the tank inductor is a B&W 850A, which is in fine shape other than the typical disintegrated plastic spacers. Contact buttons look pristine. That alone was probably worth what I paid for the amp. Thinking I might just get that up and running and screen-modulate it.

And a nice metal plate with two 4CX-1500B sockets and chimneys, and four tubes to go with it. Not sure when I'll get into that; most certainly a retirement project, like the Gates iron. Thinking of building something along the lines of Tom's 813 rig with the Gates iron.

Lots of other assorted stuff: meters and transformers and bread-slicers and doorknobs and all that.

And to top it all off, a slight sunburn. All-in-all a wonderful two days.

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 12:54:14 PM »

Many thanks for the great photos - looks like it was a great day!
Nick K4NYW

Lust-filled geeky radio photos!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/19T6MydDQha6W3cH9

Dan
W1DAN

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 08:03:59 PM »

Fantastic time at NEAR-Fest.  Nice to meet a lot of folks that I have not met before. 

Joe-GMS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015