The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking ll  (Read 2752 times)
WB4YVO

« on: April 10, 2022, 10:42:45 AM »

All, I cannot seem to figure out how to get the case of of this transmitter.. Any help??

Skip
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 02:58:13 PM »

All, I cannot seem to figure out how to get the case of of this transmitter.. Any help??

Skip

http://bama.edebris.com/download/johnson/viking2(2)/Johnson%20Viking%20II%20Manual.pdf

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Detroit47

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 08:16:55 PM »

As I recall you separate the case from the front panel. The bolts are on the sides accessible from the inside.

Johnathan N8QPC
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 12:13:34 PM »

I counted 35 screws to get the case apart, and I may have missed one. If you have a drill/ lectric screw drive, use it.

And this doesn't include removing the front panel.

My advise, don't button her up all the way.

klc

What? Me worry?
KF7JAF

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 09:54:47 PM »

Unless yours is very different from mine: the top cover comes off, the bottom cover comes off. This gives you access to just about everything. Is there some reason you need to get the front panel off?

Dave
KF7JAF
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »

Unless yours is very different from mine: the top cover comes off, the bottom cover comes off. This gives you access to just about everything. Is there some reason you need to get the front panel off?

Dave
KF7JAF

I recently upgraded a Viking II-CDC and the covers are as Dave KF7AF has stated. The top cover, as I recall, slides off backwards so you can gain access to the tubes and that is usually all that is needed to remove tubes to check them.

I usually bring up the voltage slowly on a Variac to 70Vac to see if tubes are faintly glowing and then to about 95Vac.

To get to the chassis circuitry underneath, yes the cabinet (shroud) needs to be removed.

You didn't state as to whether or not this transmitter has had its Power Supply components upgraded. If in doubt, replace them before increasing voltage and before any power output tests.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 05:41:31 PM »

Part of the design criteria for the Civil Defense version of the Viking II was to make changes to the actual original Viking II cabinet. Of course, after roughly 70 years of handling by "X" number of owners, cabinet sections might be mixed in various versions.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB4YVO

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 07:31:41 PM »

Thanks all..  I just got back home from a trip.  so i will tomorrow take a look at it again.

Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015