The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:49:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALS  (Read 5646 times)
W1IA

« on: April 08, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »

This past February I had developed a speech impediment overnight. After many tests through the VA, it was determined I have contracted "Bulbar Onset ALS"
This not a plea for sympathy as God has his plan; but an announcement to my AM friends.  The disease is spreading at a fast pace and I'm not sure how long before I take the dirt nap. I have been on the air less due to sounding like a drunk-in fool. HA! But if you hear me please say hello. I plan on operating as long as I physically can. I want to find homes for much of the gear. As you know, most home brew gear isn't worth much except in parts. Maybe some of it can live on and bring some joy to my fellow AM'rs. Lastly, I hope to make it to Nearfest in April to have a celebration of life party and see everyone.

God Bless
Brent W1IA

Derry, NH

Run What Ya Brung!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 07:52:47 PM »

Brent,
I am awed at your approach to this challenge in the journey.
Good on you and our prayers are with you.
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
vk3alk

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 07:57:26 PM »

Ohhh Brent what can I say....

We have never spoken on air of course but a few times via email.....

Wayne
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 08:08:12 PM »

God bless you. I wish you comfort as long as you are with us.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 11:19:47 PM »

Brent,

This is depressing news.

I did some reading on Bulbar Onset ALS.  I know you said it was fast moving. Let's hope for the best, since some fortunate people make it another 5 to 10 years after symptoms appear. That would really be a gift for us.

We've had some great times on and off the air for decades now.  It's hard to see some of my good friends having problems like this.

I'll give you a call next time I hear ya on, OM.

T  

Fast Times at Deerfield High in 2014:  K1JJ, K4HX, WA2PJP and  W1IA as Brentina... Smiley

* THE_MISCREANTS.jpg (121.68 KB, 800x600 - viewed 296 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 10:59:02 AM »

My eyeball with Brent was at Vortex Joe's QTH - Washington Crossing PA, May 26, 2007:

In the photo, left to right - Terry N3GTE, Keith WA1HZK, Ken W2DTC, Joe N3IBX, Steve WA2DTW, and Brent W1IA.  Lots of boat anchors exchanged that day!
Photo by Tom WA3KLR.

Brent, I heard you on 3885 a couple days ago with Ted K1QAR.  I'll fire up next time.

* 2gte_hzk_dtc_ibx_dtw_ia.JPG (484.15 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 291 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA1HSD

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 01:01:36 PM »

Hi Brent,  - from your old friend Dean, still WA1HSD, although not active in ages...

Very sorry to see your posting, since Keith and I still communicate once in a while, he let me know the issue had happened.
We are all getting older, but this is too much. Maybe you will beat it, you certainly have your Ham friends there...
Let me know if you need me to help at anything.

Dean
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 02:16:46 PM »

Hi Brent!

This is upsetting news. I am glad you checked into the Lonely Guys net this morning to inform us of your challenging condition.

You are a family member here and "Tall Ship" on 75, and I hope you find the energy to get on the radio often.

Thank you for including us all on your journey.

God Bless,
Dan
W1IA

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 03:49:34 PM »

Brent,

This is depressing news.

I did some reading on Bulbar Onset ALS.  I know you said it was fast moving. Let's hope for the best, since some fortunate people make it another 5 to 10 years after symptoms appear. That would really be a gift for us.

We've had some great times on and off the air for decades now.  It's hard to see some of my good friends having problems like this.

I'll give you a call next time I hear ya on, OM.

T  

Thanks Tom...and everyone on the board for the kind words. As I said, I'm not looking for sympathy. Just asking that my friends do a kindness for someone in there life. Pass on some goodwill and I think the world will be a happier place. I look forward to qso's over the next few weeks as my speech sounds like a drunken sailor and is going away.

God Bless,
Brent

Fast Times at Deerfield High in 2014:  K1JJ, K4HX, WA2PJP and  W1IA as Brentina... Smiley

Run What Ya Brung!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 07:35:14 AM »

Brent, I''m sure pulling for you man. What a wonderful outlook you have on this. . Would that we all could take misfortune so gallantly.  God Speed.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1IA

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »

I would like to have a celebration of life at NearFest. This makes more sense than a separate party in June at my QTH.
Maybe we can have a grill fired up at the relaxation center?
I will confirm this proposal with Mr. Mike and Timtron. Everyone wear a name tag, my facial recognition suck and my memory is worse. Again....no sympathy please....I want to enjoy everyone's company and share war stories and antics  over the many years on the air and off.

God Bless,

Brent(Tina)

ps. Hope K1KW can share the story of where the Tina came from. : )

Run What Ya Brung!
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 12:00:19 AM »

Brent (Tina)……

Oh, yoo hoo!!!!!!

The “Celebration” of your life will take place at Deerfield just as you have requested.

Brent W1IA is one of three people who hold the honored title “Hero of Deerfield”.  For those who do not know what this means, let me enlighten you.  Back in May 2007 when we hosted NEAR-Fest I for some reason the Fair Association was unable to provide us with the service of emptying the trash barrels which meant we were responsible for moving their contents to the dumpster.  Tina, W1IA, Jim, N1HTS and Jim W1KQ volunteered for the task and essentially gave up their hamfest so everyone else could enjoy theirs.  Because they did their job so well the Fair Association was very impressed with the way we maintained the grounds that they agreed to continue allowing us to the grounds twice a year since then. They also agreed to provide the trash pickup service going forward as well.

Thus, their unselfish actions made it possible to carry the “fester” forward and it continues to this day fifteen years later.  

It is a privilege and an honor to make the Relaxation Grove available for an event that celebrates your life……..  NEAR-Fest XXXI is dedicated to YOU Brentina and I know the celebration will be remembered by all who attend.

I will be there along with the NEAR-Fest team.

MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W1IA

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 01:41:41 PM »

Thanks Mike…I’m no hero, and it was a combined effort of the Jims’s, you and many others. We can all meet at the relaxation area and head off to the restaurant after.
I have a friend coming AC1FC “Charles” Charles has designed a remarkable phase controller for driven arrays. I am excited to have been part of his project. Also, Frank WA1GFZ. Franks engineering talent added to some design changes that Charles implemented. Charles has over 2000 hours of programming and hardware design in the phase controller. Charles didn’t know what he had, and after looking at his work I was amazed at his effort and talent. Charles almost abandoned the project; but after some inspiration from our QSO and Franks input, he added the error correction hardware and software to solve the impedance matching circuit. The steerable phase shift causes impedance shift, and with an additional LC network (hardware & software) the project is complete. Charles will be bringing the project for a show & tell. I hope that everyone will welcome Charles and see the masterpiece of engineering. 👍
Anyone have some pictures with myself and the fun from the past, bring them please. With Steve’s W1ES help, I hope to bring the John Deere tractor.  I spent the past 8 months replacing a blown up Diesel engine (twice), broken transaxle, bad control relay board, broken hydraulic bypass valve and a long list restoring the old girl. The tractor and the journey to repair it represents my approach to life. I never quit on a problem.

Once more….please no sympathy needed or wanted. I am excited to see everyone and remember all the fun and debauchery over the years.

God Bless,
Brent(Tina)

* A68231E7-8764-4C82-94B5-A9343E037AA0.jpeg (325.8 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 232 times.)

* 44ED9E4E-D3E1-426A-9A7E-BC6452012E78.jpeg (259.76 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 236 times.)

* 6D04663E-9B6E-4D1B-8994-F9B3A521AA40.jpeg (241.62 KB, 1024x932 - viewed 212 times.)

Run What Ya Brung!
ka1shu.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 02:40:24 AM »

Will be their rain or shine Brent, KA1SHU shit house university Smiley
W1IA

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »

Thanks Bert WA3JYU for the laughs. Had me 🤣.
The “Plum Snugglers” comment was priceless.
Anyone else have some old audio clips, please send them to me.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/015wKNIckLHKK5LLa4-5ZWs4Q#WFDN_1-29-2006

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1IA

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2022, 05:33:54 PM »

Will be their rain or shine Brent, KA1SHU shit house university Smiley

We will have good weather! One way or the other it will be fun to see everyone. I plan on bringing the John Deere tractor. I may strap a chair to the loader? Also, had my wife print some pictures of the Brent"Tina" from K1TWF's Halloween party back in the day.  Grin A buxom blond she is! Please wear a name-tag, as my brain doesn't work well and I don't want to embarrass myself.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015