The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:03:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Concierge Shoppingl at NEAR-Fest  (Read 2425 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: March 31, 2022, 08:50:24 AM »

One of the NEAR-Fest gang has come wp with an idea…. It is called the Concierge Flea Market Shopper.  It works ilike this: Someone at home has a concierge shopper who is simply someone at the fester walking through the flea market with their cellphone camera in hand showing the attendee what is on the tables.  If the attendee sees something of interest the concierge shopper hands the phone to the seller and the two principals can go from there.  

Mitch was thinking of a honorarium for the concierge of $20.00 an hour or possibly a 10% dee from both the buyer and the seller.  

One problem is that NEAR-Fest cannot be involved in the financial transaction because it might appear to some that the concierge is an employee and this is a no-no for us.  Obviously this would have to be set up in advance.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mr,Mike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 05:54:10 PM »

Hi Mike,

I think anytime you can get more people involved matching up buyers and sellers, it's a good thing.  The marketplace and success of all involved will dictate if it works well or not.  If people balk at the fees, then the competition  may be more flexible the next time or it may become a waste of time.  The market will tell you.

It's worth a try to work out the bugs and see if it is of value.   I think it's an interesting service for many who want and need stuff but cannot make the fest.

The only thing missing is the hands-on feel of the inspection.  The Market Shopper could add his value by giving the part or equipment an initial once-over for the buyer. He will get good at it over time. The seller may not be as lucid and may only show the good points.  IE, someone like TimTron would be the kind of shopper I would want for my buying. He could give a description like nobody else... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »

A seller brings stuff to a flea market to sell. Cash and carry.

If the person on the other end of the phone has an interest, then the seller has to take the additional time to discuss the additional particulars such as, consider packaging the item, consider the cost of packaging material, going to USPS, FedEx, etc. and figure their cost, maybe a local pickup, when, where, cash in hand, etc., discussing or haggling the total price and the method of payment. IF the potential buyer later backs out, the seller is screwed and has to drag the same item to the next flea market.

If I was the seller and someone approach me with phone in hand, I'd tell him or her to move on. I deal in cash and carry.

OR have the phone carrier buy the item and let them work it out with the person on the other end of the phone. The seller meets his/her goal to sell the item.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 07:22:44 PM »

What Pete said.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
W1ITT

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »

I have to agree with Jim and Pete.  It's one thing to hand your buddy a Twenty and ask him to pick up half a dozen left-handed PL259s.  But if you're buying anything of consequence, especially used items, there are too many places to disagree.  In particular, what is "cherry" or mint to one fellow might not agree with the next evaluation.  I'd have to know someone pretty well to have them buy a Johnson Ranger for me, as an example.  And, as the buying agent for someone I didn't know well, I wonder if they'd say that said Ranger wasn't as good as it looked on video and they'd stiff me and tell me to keep it.
I see this scheme as having to many snares and pitfalls, with too many chances for friends to not be friends any more.  As with Tom, I'm a believer in the Free Market.  Anyone who wants to give it a go is welcome to prove us naysayers wrong and then chortle in our general direction.
But if you see some guy with left-handed PL259s, especially the metric threaded ones, ask him to set them aside as I'll be right along.
73 de Norm W1ITT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 10:25:51 PM »

Yep, Pete brings up a good point that I didn't even think of...  the item needs to be SHIPPED to the buyer after the remote sale and money transferred somehow - and with possible buyer's remorse problems.  Cash and carry IS a big benefit of a flea mkt vs: eBay, etc.

The shipping issue alone will make this method more difficult to get momentum and succeed.  Much will depend on how motivated the seller is to make a sale.  Maybe that's why it's not already popular at ham flea mkts across the country.

I do applaud your creative thinking, Mike!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 10:24:08 AM »

I agree with Pete. It's a flea market. Cash and carry.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015