The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Honor Our Fallen and Those that Serve[D]  (Read 7833 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:38:10 AM »

Good Day Everyone,

Just a rememberence to Honor all of our Service Personell Past, Present and Future, and again as always "Welcome Home" From ZedLR....and the group... Cheesy
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 10:28:34 AM »

AMEN

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 10:37:07 AM »

Thanks Jack.

It’s easy to get caught up in the fun and activities of the weekend and lose sight of the fine men and women who have sacrificed for our country.
Let us not forgot those who are in the Middle East holding back the sword of evil.

God bless them one and all.

wa2zdy
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 01:49:12 PM »

I have always taught my kids that yes, the parade and bands and fire engines are fun to watch, but we must never forget what Memorial Day is REALLY for.  

After the local parade, we look at the monuments downtown and we talk about them.  My 13 yr old knows, but the 4 and 6 yr olds have a way to go.  

Lest we forget . . .
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 05:26:33 PM »

Remember

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 05:27:43 PM »

To those who didn't come home...
 You are not forgotten.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1QWT

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 07:21:15 PM »

I will be at the local observance tomorrow remembering my friends who were killed or maimed many years ago. I will also stand tall for all veterans whether they served in combat or not. I will try to remember the sacrifices made by all those who served in all the wars and in peace time. I am so glad that our present service men and women are accepted and loved by the general public. In 1970 I was called names as I walked through airports. It became so bad that the Chief Of Naval Operations (CNO) allowed enlisted personnel to wear civies on and off the ship.
This country is great because it has a muscle to flex if needed and we love life.
The words I learned many years ago are the words I have tried to live my life by: "Honor, courage, commitment"

Carry on, smoke em if ya got em.

Not a bad looking Q at sea some 35 years ago. THat vertical antenna behind me is for receiving. The transmitting ones were painted red at the base and generally out of reach. I was a radioman and this picture was taken in the middle of the north atlantic.

Best Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 07:49:27 PM »

Tomorrow is for my father and others like him.  He served in Patton's Army as a First Sergeant and was with troops that liberated 2 concentration camps.  I only found out about all this about 2 years ago as his memory now slips and he answers questions.  Memories that he swore he would forget and never recount.

He is always in my thoughts and still alive at 92.  Here is to my mother, also still alive, who cared for me while he was away fighting.  Here is to the men and women who followed him and those of today who bear the same burden, mostly uncomplaining who are proud of their heritage, proud of their country, proud of their families and proud to serve us.

I will not, can not and refuse to forget them and their sacrifices.
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 10:14:34 PM »

Quote from: Jim, W5JO
Tomorrow is for my father and others like him.  He served in Patton's Army as a First Sergeant and was with troops that liberated 2 concentration camps.  I only found out about all this about 2 years ago as his memory now slips and he answers questions.  Memories that he swore he would forget and never recount.

He is always in my thoughts and still alive at 92.  Here is to my mother, also still alive, who cared for me while he was away fighting.  Here is to the men and women who followed him and those of today who bear the same burden, mostly uncomplaining who are proud of their heritage, proud of their country, proud of their families and proud to serve us.

I will not, can not and refuse to forget them and their sacrifices.

The Greatest Generation indeed.....

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »

It's easy to become impatient with slow-moving old buzzards on the road or in the store.  If I EVER find myself in that position I remind myself of the supreme sacrifice they made for our freedom.  THey have great stories to tell also!

The accomplishments of that generation are awe-inspiring, as are those of every man and woman who served in uniform.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K8SWL
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 10:45:51 AM »

Quote from: w3jn
It's easy to become impatient with slow-moving old buzzards on the road or in the store.  If I EVER find myself in that position I remind myself of the supreme sacrifice they made for our freedom.  THey have great stories to tell also!

The accomplishments of that generation are awe-inspiring, as are those of every man and woman who served in uniform.

73 John

So true John. When a senior citizen delays me I always stop and think "I'm soon to be one of them".

We sit at our computers and think how fast technology and life itself is changing. But think of those that fought to get through the great depression only to enter WW2, some made the ultimate sacrifice, some came home permanantly disabled and many came home with thoughts and memories that scared them for life. Did they give up? Nope, they are the ones that advanced our technology and life to the level that we enjoy now. We must be eternally grateful to them.

I encourage everyone to do a little something for our war veterans. Stop by a V A Hospital. There are many there that have no family or visitors. They love to  shake hands and have a little conversation with someone that cares. I've done it several times and found it to be some of the most rewarding afternoons I've ever had.

God, bless our fallen war heroes, look out for our disabled heroes and provide a safe and comfortable life for all.

For all you have, thank a Vet.
r/
Mike K8SWL
U S Navy (retired)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 09:15:39 PM »

and too bad so few of them have a chance to lead this nation.
maybe we would have a bit more respect around the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015