The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:59:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better than a Sears catalog at Xmas!  (Read 1387 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: March 07, 2022, 01:30:03 PM »

I could not resis posting this. I was testing our a new turntable and decided to mount my old Pickering V15/ATE-3 cartridge. Still sound quite good for its age. Purchased it in 1970 form Lafayette Electronics in Newark, NJ. Today, it's a parking lot!

Page 170 starts all the amateur gear - looks like a list of what you can find at your next hamfest!

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Consumer/Allied-1970.pdf
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »

I believe one can find a late 30s or 1940 Sears Roebuck catalog online either on world radio history or archive.org that includes a HUGE amateur radio section along with consumer radios, audio equipment, and what would now be called “pro audio” stuff.  I was not aware that all of the major ham radio manufacturers marketed through the Sears “wish book”.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 03:48:54 PM »

Still have several good working Pickering cartridges including one with a Shibata stylus for my CD-4 vinyl.

Filled in at the Lafayette Central Ave., Newark store several times. One of the original stores. One of the three Union stores that Lafayette had. When approaching a potential customer on the floor, hi-fi room, amateur radio/cb section, as a non-union person, I had to get permission from the salesperson handing that area of products. If I made the sale, the credit would go to the salesperson handling that area. The same situation also prevailed at the New York (Union Square store -former 100 6th ave. store) where I worked part-time Thursday and Friday nights when I was going to school in NYC during the day.

A real step back; Lafayette catalogs from the 20's through their last one in 1979:
https://worldradiohistory.com/Lafayette_Catalogs.htm
Besides the large main catalog each year, we also issued quarterly catalogs on a regular basis starting roughly in the early 50's.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015