The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:03:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Warns Against Using Radio In Crime  (Read 2767 times)
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« on: February 24, 2022, 11:30:55 PM »

The FCC has issued this warning again. The last time was just after the January 6, 2021 US Capitol protest.

Note that this encompasses all hobby- and personal-radio services.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-22-181A1.pdf

(Note: This .PDF file opens in my Google Chrome browser, v.98.0.4758.102  Wink )

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »

As it should, anything that aids a criminal in committing a crime should not be allowed.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 08:46:50 AM »

As it should, anything that aids a criminal in committing a crime should not be allowed.

Yes, but what is the definition of crime? A law from government legislators, or perhaps a Gov leader (gov, president, prime minister) executive order?
The Canadian trucker issue comes to mind where CB radio played a part, and perhaps FRS radios.

Jim
Wd5JKO
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »

I'm not familiar with Canadian law but if those truckers would be using the CB's to gather, then they would be protected under the 1st amendment of the Constitution. At least that is the way I see it.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1ITT

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 12:25:38 PM »

If this is directed towards intimidating the trucker protesters heading for DC, it just reminds everyone of an easy-to-use technicality where a Federal law would be broken.  What trucker doesn't have a CB radio in the cab?
These cheesy technicalities just make it easier to lay a felony rap on someone.  For all his antics, all they ever convicted Al Capone of was income tax evasion on his stolen money.  Easy as pie, in and out of court in a flash.  So if anyone decides to rob a bank, make sure to leave your Baofeng under the seat in your getaway car.  It's too bad that the FCC can't spend more time chasing importers of RFI nasty consumer junk and protecting the radio spectrum.
73 de Norm W1ITT
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 11:21:41 PM »

Some truckers actually don't use 11m CB.  Some still don't even have a rig in the truck, like so many others having switched to cellphones.  Mainly due to the infamous inanity and abuse on the band.

The chatter I'm seeing on Facebook (and yes, consider the source) is that this little warning may be connected to the "People's Convoy" wending its way across the US to Washington, DC.  Undecided

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 06:46:29 AM »

it's interesting that the warning is only pointed at licensees of the amateur radio service and personal radio service.  Don't hear much about licensees committing crimes with their radios. who in their right mind would commit a crime and give out their callsign.  Maybe the warning would be better served by directing it at those who are not licensed and using these radio services not only illegally but also for the illegal and criminal purposes mentioned.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015