The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:16:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of a Pow-Wow with Riley.  (Read 6443 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« on: May 23, 2005, 06:12:38 AM »

Welcome Back all yoos Ham Festerzss[Bet some of yunns are Tired].. Cheesy Good day Everyone.

I've been considering a Sit down with Riley, a visit if you will, I know he's back logged and his hands are Full, and Contacts are far and few between.

The Idea being getting his Views on the Future of the service, operations and just a general Pow-Wow concerning AM-Home Brew...I would have to Ask for an appointment and take some days off and really plan this thing out.

But I think I'm going to put a Call through and see if the Tide is up for Sailing.

Any Thoughts..?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 10:29:52 AM »

You wantum Pow-Wow !!

Show me the Wampum !!! :badgrin:  :badgrin:  :badgrin:
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:12:43 AM »

Jack,
      Interesting idea! If you do get to have a "sitdown" with Riley, please let us all know what questions were asked and how you made out. Also, you're welcomed to contact his favorite station if only for a reception report or QSL card request - hi hi hi!!!

Best Regards,
                    Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

Hi Joe,

Well, my thought is to produce a set of questions and when i call him I would be right up front with him, and Ask, and submit the questions for his approval and then set a date all with his permission.

Then do an interview, and ask him hey what's in the future OM, Whats' Up that sort of thing...All he can say is No, Then I would be afirmed in my Position that there is little if any interest in our endeavours, People have to realize Joe, the Power of the Public Forum..

Then i'd like to do an article for ER.. Imagine that...

It might Sound Crazy, and alot of People might shoot holes in it, But Can you as a Member here and a Brother in arms Consider the Possibilities it might have, The Impact....Think about it Joe and hey give me a call OM..if you want you have my number..Call collect Brother...or heck meet me in Chat here on the board i'm working on my mic connection right now soon i'll have Video and Hey we have another mode of communications availible at our finger tips... Cheesy
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 07:09:37 PM »

Jack, not to dampen your flame, I wonder if you would be better served to talk to some commissioner rather then Riley.  He is in a percarious position and cannot speak about policy.  He might do so if it were not to go public.  If his comments will be made public, he will be closed mouth and evasive.  Your questions are about policy not enforcement, which is not his area of expertise.

He may have expertise in policy and push those thoughts in meetings, but I doubt if he will say anything about policy.  I laude your idea and enthusiam, but I believe, he will not respond to these type of questions.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 07:31:36 PM »

Hi Jim,

How's the Family, Hope all is well.. Cheesy . No i'm just kinda thinking out loud here and My interest is not to Quote and Poke at Riley or cause him or anyone any Damage or insult for that matter...Public or Private..

But see He knows the problems on the Bands if anyone, and he also knows or he's been around and I'd really like to get his take on the Scene.. Now there would be No questions concerning Policy or the League Issues right up front, But, the possibilities of doing an interview with a fella like him there's PR issues here.. and Spend a Day with Riley and Look Here's my Hand OM you see what i'm getting at here.. and I'm Avoiding all league issues from now on and I'm speaking no more about it there's been Enough Dirt thrown and Stress here I think we all need a Break from that.. but it's just my opinion Not and order of the day thing..hi...

So this my Idea..and thanks for your Input I'm Greatly obliged for that.. and I understand exactly where your coming from...
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 08:42:20 PM »

Under those circumstances you might get somewhere, but if he thinks he is going to be quoted or referred in public, then you will get the standard quotes.  I should have know you would be diplomatic Jack, and that is the way to handle it.  

If you could swing a lunch at one of the fancy bars in DC you might have a better chance at some real information.  That would give him a chance to see his bosses at lunch.  I met him and visited with him briefly at a hamfest in Sorocco, NM some years back.  Being in that position and attending a hamfest is a lonely thing.  He seemed somewhat guarded in private, but delivered a fine presentation at the convocation.

The things he could help you with is information about who to talk to about what.  But be careful in that government officials must report any gifts, including lunch if the amount is over 25 dollars, I think  (it maybe higher now).   I say, go for it and see what you can accomplish.  Maybe the board could hire you for a lobbyist.

The family is fine, but Memorial weekend is coming up and the noise from the boats and Ski-Doos will be deafining.  Have a good one and my best to you and your family.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:05:02 AM »

Like most government officials, I would bet that Riley is VERY busy so don't count on a whole day of his time.  Also, I would guess that he'd listen well to your concerns but as Jim noted he will most likely be very guarded so as to forestall any misrepresentations or misunderstandings of his ideas vs.  official FCC policy.

And Riley is in Gettysburg, PA, not DC, but a good lunch at <$25 value would most likely be appreciated by him.

I've had some liaison with the FCC in an official capacity and I've mentioned ham radio issues to some in Riley's chain of command.  Rest assured Riley enjoys the full support and respect of FCC enforcement bureau management.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 05:25:40 AM »

Good Morning John,

Well, it's just a thought here, and actually i was thinking more along the lines of taking him and his family out for dinner with My Wife an i, ya know afterwards.

It's an idea to kick around and wonder about, ah we'll see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015