The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone Audio Samples  (Read 3308 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: December 10, 2021, 03:47:36 PM »

I ran across this collection of microphone samplings a couple days ago, 48 in all.  There are 22 microphones tested - dynamics, condensers and one ribbon.  The same 15 second passage is read on each of the mics by one man and then one woman.  Then there is an example of the proximity effect by the man with one of the mics at 4 distances:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-podcast-microphone-comparison/

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 11:38:48 AM »

How interesting! Thank you very much. In the downtime I've been considering a new microphone since my current one is a nice looking but cheap import PA type with a peak at around 600-1000Hz. Makes me sound like I am talking in a box, more than one person has said..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KQ6F

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 08:47:15 PM »

I agree, it was interesting.  But the thing that stood out for me was how similar they all sounded.  And I listened with good speakers.  The differences were subtle, at least to these old ears. The one mic that sounded brighter was the Presonus PD-70. However, I'm not tempted to buy one after looking and listening to a couple of online reviews.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 09:08:51 PM »

I’m glad someone else commented on their similarity. I thought it was my ears!
KQ6F

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 12:51:18 PM »

I mentioned before that the Presonus PD-70 sounded brighter than the other mics.  I see now where Sweetwater has them on sale for $30 less.  Might be worth a second look.
ka1bwo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 12:53:39 AM »

I agree, it was interesting.  But the thing that stood out for me was how similar they all sounded.  And I listened with good speakers.  The differences were subtle, at least to these old ears. The one mic that sounded brighter was the Presonus PD-70. However, I'm not tempted to buy one after looking and listening to a couple of online reviews.

https://gregrickaby.com/blog/microphone-shootout-behringer-b-1-vs-neumann-tlm-103
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 08:06:43 AM »

Two things:

What this article says in the last paragraph is really the actual story:  use a decent processor in a decent acoustical space. Those two things level the microphone playing field to the point where it doesn’t really matter sound-wise. Reliability and RF rejection would be factors we should consider, but other factors, not so much.

Second, processing mics through anything but a known accurate preamp while doing a comparison is not particularly valid. All the mics will be colored by the processor’s sound, masking their differences. The author likely knows this; in his defense, he used the same processor both times.

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
KQ6F

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 09:06:39 PM »

The thing about condenser mics.. they require a phantom power source.  That makes them incompatible with direct connection to conventional radios unless they'll run on 5v phantom which many do not.  That's one of the main reasons broadcast radio stations prefer dynamic mics 50-to-one.

I've got both kinds and like some better than others, depending...
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 07:24:54 AM »

The thing about condenser mics.. they require a phantom power source.  That makes them incompatible with direct connection to conventional radios

Adding phantom power to a balanced mic input is dirt simple, two 50uF 63v caps, two 6.8k resistors, and a 9-52v dc source. What’s more trouble is connecting a balanced mic with phantom power to the unbalanced input on nearly all radios. The simple way of using a transformer is expensive, because the only new mic transformers available today are esoteric studio grade pieces. The less simple way is to build a whole preamp.

That said, I happen to have a bag of old surplus mid-grade mic transformers (not audiophile or studio grade) such that I’d be fine mailing anybody one for experimenting.

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015