The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for 'NYLATCH' fasteners to replace on old set  (Read 3408 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: November 29, 2021, 11:58:48 PM »

parts needed: Nichiei-Japan -2 NYLATCH. called a 'snap-lock'. hole eyeballs to between 0.25" and 0.3125" by a ruler. can't locate calipers at the moment. These hold the sides on. 4 required.

southco.com sells these.

https://southco.com/en_us_int/fasteners/quick-access-fasteners/nylatch-panel-fasteners/ny-nylatch-two-piece-panel-fasteners?colorappearance=Black&head_style=Low+Profile&material=Nylon

Does anyone have a known correct/good Icom or Southco /other part number for the fasteners on the Icom IC-202?

It's a long shot but no one I have asked seems to know. This portable radio is from the 1976, so it's pretty old.

The fasteners have "Nichiei-Japan -2 NYLATCH" molded into the ring on top. Very hard to read.
Icom manual calls it a 'snap-lock', There's no part number and Icom does not supply this any more.

Please excuse me for asking about a carrierless AM radio part, but I have toiled with this thing quite a bit to get it working, and the finishing touch, if I'm lucky, will be to replace the four little "Nylatch" fasteners that hold the right and left covers on.

Being a 'portable', the covers go on/off to replace a bunch of C cells or to change crystals. Each xtal covers 200KHz via variable capacitor and a bit of VCXO action, kind of cool really. It only remains to find these, and then remove a 56 ohm 1 Watt resistor someone installed in series with the driver to reduce power further.

It's important to me to get this done well, because I inherited this from long-time friend W5FRS, now SK.
It's just too cool-looking to discard and I know that's why he appreciated it. Looks sort of military and it is built in a rugged manner. It's about the size of an IC-706, but looks waaayyy cooler!

So the pictures show these little fasteners. The problem is that there are several combinations of diameter and depth they accomodate. The holes seem to be between 0.25" and 0.3125", and the thickness of the grip when the side panel is against the chassis so the holes line up- that needs a caliper to measure.

southco:
https://files.southco.com/static/Literature/ny-wg.en.pdf

So if anyone knows the part numner or the dimentions to order, I would sincerely appreciate it. All 4 are broken beyond repair. Little plastic things..

* image.jpg (130.19 KB, 997x1063 - viewed 282 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 10:06:39 AM »

Mercedes used something very similar to hold in the glove box liner in 80's cars.

You might take your old sample to a dealer and see if they have some.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »

I have been looking for some myself. No luck yet.

Bill KA8WTK

* IMG_Icpms.jpg (2681.35 KB, 3000x4000 - viewed 219 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:51:27 PM »

It kinda looks like something a high end auto detailing / restoration shop could find for you. Or perhaps they could get something close enough to fool the untrained eye.
73 de Norm W1ITT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »

wide variety here. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=nylatch+panel+fastener&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=nylatch&_osacat=0

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »

Thqanks for the good suggestions on alternates! I would not mind a substitute if it has a low profile plunger so as not to hang on things. It doesn't have to be an exact look-alike. So far most automotive ones have a flush plunger not easy to pull out, but I'll check w/ Mercedes as my brother works at a parts house. Also the Ford dealer has some similar kind for attatching cover panels to the rear doors in E series cargo vans.

Turning to Southco offerings, might have to buy a set in 2 or 3 variants to see which best fits the thickness and hole diameter. The data sheet is a good guide for that and the unused ones will find uses here that's for sure. Like a lot of stuff, the hunt goes:
manufacturer (high minimums)----internediary/distributor (cheap/fair)---retailer/boutique (outlandish price)

When I get a round tuit and discover what's the right number I will definitely share that.
Not looking to pay ebay price$ though.
There should be an assortment kit or a higher quantity for lower cost since they are simple plastic.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015