The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B&W 5100B - Finals wiring error?  (Read 1619 times)
KK7UV

« on: November 28, 2021, 07:43:24 PM »

I acquired this last summer from an estate, where it had been sitting in storage for at least 15 years. All 6146s and the rectifiers were absent.

I am restoring the multiplier/finals module and in the middle of checking values on the original carbon resistors I found a discrepancy between my rig and the schematic. See the attached jpg file.

Note how the RFC and parasitic choke are wired into the grids of the 6146's. Is the schematic in error, or is mine wired in error?

Also, both 6146 sockets have a 47-ohm resistor from the suppressor pin 4 to ground. This makes no sense since pins 1,4, and 6 in 6146 are common in the tube, and my pin 1 is grounded. My only idea is that the previous owner tried a different tube type in the finals.

I was unable to find any such service notes for these differences.

* PAwiringerror.jpg (356.33 KB, 1634x936 - viewed 251 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »

I acquired this last summer from an estate, where it had been sitting in storage for at least 15 years. All 6146s and the rectifiers were absent.

I am restoring the multiplier/finals module and in the middle of checking values on the original carbon resistors I found a discrepancy between my rig and the schematic. See the attached jpg file.

Note how the RFC and parasitic choke are wired into the grids of the 6146's. Is the schematic in error, or is mine wired in error?

Also, both 6146 sockets have a 47-ohm resistor from the suppressor pin 4 to ground. This makes no sense since pins 1,4, and 6 in 6146 are common in the tube, and my pin 1 is grounded. My only idea is that the previous owner tried a different tube type in the finals.

I was unable to find any such service notes for these differences.

The printed schematic is correct. Same circuit and parasitic suppressor components were used in the 5100. Probably included to suppress parasitic radiation from screwing up the TV reception.  Final would work fine even if you replaced the suppressor with a wire.

6146 Cathode, pins 1,4, and 6, should go directly to ground with very short connections.

* BW5100-final.jpg (84.62 KB, 1025x799 - viewed 223 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015