The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:57:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in 2m AM  (Read 28723 times)
WA2ONK
Contributing

« on: November 24, 2021, 11:19:13 PM »

I live in the Trenton, NJ area. Looking for some 2m am activity. I can run up to 200w and am using a 12 element horizontal yagi. If interested in giving it a try, email is wa2onk at verizon.net
N1WVQ

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 10:31:46 PM »

I would, but I don’t have any antennae up at the moment, but I’m in Massachusetts anyway, so I doubt we’d reach!

N1WVQ/V31VQ
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 01:39:44 AM »

Theoretically interested but not anywhere near ready. Never have used AM on 2M before and have only one transmitter that could do it.

This little BC-640 guy here will make a 50W carrier with a pair of VT-204/HK-24s and uses 811As in the plate modulator and covers 100 to 156MHz according to the book. A modern DDS would work in lieu of an 8 to 8.1111 MHz crystal. It's 601 LBs, so maybe a contender for the heavy metal award at 12 Lb per Watt.

Need to rebuild one of the power supplies (therefore the gap)

I'm in Dallas and too far away under usual circumstances. but there is a discone or two in the garage and a 50FT tower in the back yard with a lonely dipole on it.

It would certainly cheeze off all the FM and SSB folks on the band around here. Is there a customary 'AM' area on 2M or just pick an empty phone frequency away from repeaters and fire up? Lots of repeaters in the area but not so many that there'd be no room.

* IMG_1104S.jpg (135.84 KB, 389x1000 - viewed 313 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 07:44:27 AM »

Yes, I'm very interested in 2M AM. That's where I started. Unfortunately I'm up in Sussex County, NJ, where I'm not aware of anyone nearby who might also be interested. I will be getting an HW-17 soon, a positively awful radio that was my first rig back in 1969. It doesn't look promising for me up here.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
WA2ONK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 03:43:17 PM »

Yes, I'm very interested in 2M AM. That's where I started. Unfortunately I'm up in Sussex County, NJ, where I'm not aware of anyone nearby who might also be interested. I will be getting an HW-17 soon, a positively awful radio that was my first rig back in 1969. It doesn't look promising for me up here.
Jim,we may have worked in the past. I was very active on 2 AM form ‘63 ‘til ‘71 when I went in the Navy. My rig then was a Zeus and.iInterceptor B. Unfortunately my log books from back then are long gone. Right now I have a Clegg 22er MK II at about 25w, also have amp capable of 200w.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 05:34:48 PM »

Jim,we may have worked in the past. I was very active on 2 AM form ‘63 ‘til ‘71 when I went in the Navy. My rig then was a Zeus and.iInterceptor B. Unfortunately my log books from back then are long gone. Right now I have a Clegg 22er MK II at about 25w, also have amp capable of 200w.
[/quote]

I had a few boring days some years ago when I had nothing better to do, so I entered every station I ever worked from my paper logbooks (which I still have) into Excel so I would be able to do searches. Your call didn't come up, so it doesn't look like we ever worked. Given the combination of the distance between us, my VHF-poor location (I'm in a valley), and my eventual firing up of an HW-17, it doesn't look like a 2 Meter-AM QSO between us is in the cards. The last 2M AM activity from up here was several years ago with K3ZSS (SK) who lived in the same town as me. Haven't found any other local interest since.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015