The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:33:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammond H301533 Mod Transformer  (Read 2854 times)
KD1SH

« on: November 13, 2021, 10:03:45 AM »

Picked up this Hammond H301533 modulation transformer - brand new - at a local hamfest. The Hammond documentation came with it, but it's pretty rudimentary. Apparently there was a review of it in ER, and I've ordered that back issue. That transformer was sold through ER's store, as indicated by the original purchaser's sales receipt, which was also included.
   The secondary has three taps: 3K, 4K, and 5K. The primary is interesting: impedance is fixed at 5K; it has a center tap for the modulator plate supply and taps for the modulator plates, of course, but it's also got two taps - marked "Sc" - which I assume are for the modulator screens. I've never seen that before. What's up with that? What would be the advantage of supplying the modulator screens through taps on the mod transformer primary?
    It's only a 25 watt transformer, but the frequency response is listed as 150HZ to 15kHZ, where Hammond's current offering - their only current mod transformer - is spec'd at 150HZ to only 7kHZ.
     Anyone have any experience with this transformer?

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »

Ultra Linear connection.....?

https://www.iwistaoblog.com/2018/05/ultra-linear-taps-of-iwistao-output.html?m=1

I realize the above is for a speaker transformer but I would think the end result would be the same.

Would make a nice modulator, for sure.

--Shane
KP2/KD6VXI

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »

The taps labeled "Sc" are likely intended to be connected to the screen grids of the output tubes, to achieve what is commonly known as "ultra-linear" operation.  This is a form of distributed loading originally patented by Alan Blumenthal, but then later developed into a product by Hafler and Keroes:
https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/02_PEARL_Arch/Vol_01/Sec_02/073_Keroes_Hafler_UL_US_1955.pdf

The screen tap connection provides a form of feedback that reduces distortion and also reduces output impedance of a pentode amplifier.  It slightly reduces the efficiency, below that of a pentode, but provides much more linearity and lower distortion than the triode connection, at almost the power level of a pure pentode stage.  It was used for many years and was a common upgrade to the D T N Williamson amplifier circuit.  One caveat is that the tubes chosen must have a screen voltage rating almost as high as the plate voltage rating, if maximum output is to be realized.  Acrosound, one of Hafler's and Keroes' companies, (Along with Dynaco) produced a multitude of high quality output transformers, as well as amplifiers employing this design feature.   For 6146s, they produced the TO-350 transformer, which had a separate screen winding, thus allowing the screen grids to be powered from a separate, lower voltage, regulated source.

You will find many circuits applicable to your transformer here:
http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads/acrosound.pdf

The example with push-pull 807s using the TO-300 transformer was very effective when driving a quad of Taylor TZ-40 class-B modulators in push-pull parallel, rivaling the original speech amplifier employing a quad of 2A3s.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »

Interesting thoughts - thanks. Looking at the diagram, I sort of figured it might be some sort of negative feedback, since any audio voltage that gets coupled back to the screens would be out of phase from whatever is on the plates.
    That little transformer was among a pile of stuff that was virtually free. Looks like I might have found a jewel among the junk. I can envision making a nice little exciter-class rig with that. Looking forward to getting the ER back-issue with the article about it. It's issue #314, as I remember. Just ordered it this morning. Meantime, I'll look through some of my other back-issues of a similar vintage for any adds that might be there.

DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 07:32:15 PM »

It's probably this one:

Hammond 25W Modulation Transformer P/N H301533 Offered by Electric Radio

Dave Ishmael reviewed that transformer. 

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 08:04:42 PM »

That's the one. The transformer was apparently a limited edition by Hammond. Not sure if ER was the exclusive distributor. The adds can be seen in the ER issues from that era.

It's probably this one:

Hammond 25W Modulation Transformer P/N H301533 Offered by Electric Radio

Dave Ishmael reviewed that transformer. 

Phil - AC0OB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015