The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:27:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 75A-4 Receiver  (Read 4111 times)
aa5wg

« on: July 11, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »

Hello to all.

I have two questions regarding my 75A4 receiver.  

1.  When adjusting the passband control the CW note changes pitch.  It is acting slightly like a BFO.  Is this normal?

2.  On 160 meters the passband control has to be set to the USB position in order to receive LSB signals.  Is this normal?

Thank you.
Chuck
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »

I'm not sure what I'm sharing is apropos to this problem but is a potential cause ... watch what happens to the pto as the passband control is varied .... if there is any binding of this action then uniform actuation may not happen ... loosen mounts to relieve stresses, retighten mounts and try again...

as always if there are any rubber mounts check to see if still supple ... if not may need to replace

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
aa5wg

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »

W4BFS

Sir, are you saying the PTO is suppose to move uniformly left or right in correspondence to the left or right movement of the passband control?

The PTO does move a little when the passband control is moved, initially.  After initial PTO movement is wont move anymore unless I move the PTO to a new position. 

Is the PTO suppose to move back and forth when the passband knob is moved back and forth?

Chuck
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »

The PTO *assembly* moves in concert with the passband tuning.  The * tuning knob* should not.

Look at the mechanism and clean old lube out and re-lube where necessary.  It's a pretty simple affair, but the BFO pitch should not change appreciably when the passband tuning is adjusted.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
aa5wg

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »

Let me review and see if I got this right.

1.  When the PTO knob moves the PassBand tuning knob should not move.  

2.  When the PassBand Tuning knob moves the PTO assembly (not the PTO knob) also moves.

Okay?

Chuck
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

You are correct.  

On the shaft that varies the BFO frequency capacitor, which resides hidden in the BFO coil can, there is also a pulley on the shaft, connected to a metal strap belt, that rotates the entire PTO assembly when the BFO frequency is changed.

By changing the BFO and the PTO frequencies in sync, the BFO pitch should remain almost constant, because the actual BFO frequency and the mixed frequency to the low frequency IF move in unison.  So while the heterodyne between the IF and the BFO is constant, the IF frequency is moved up or down in relation to the mechanical filter frequency, thus moving the passband.

If you are experiencing a change in the beat note when turning the passband tuning control, the most likely cause is a loose metal strap belt, or weak spring holding the belt tight, or friction/resistance in the movement of the PTO.  The PTO should turn freely in concert with the BFO control shaft.  Hope this helps.....

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
aa5wg

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 05:54:56 AM »

Rick,
It does help. 
I need to figure out how to get everything working as it should.
Again, thank you.
Chuck
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »

ANd per your second question, that is normal behavior (having to receive LSB signals using the USB part of the passband tuning) due to the mixing scheme on 160.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
aa5wg

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »

Thank you for the 160 meter updated information.
This is good news.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015