The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:24:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75 Meters on a Saturday  (Read 3350 times)
K1ETP
Contributing

« on: July 03, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »

It's Saurday morning, and I just did a bandscope sweep of the entire 75/80 band here in the Boston area. Not one signal present. When I was a kid, Saturday mornings were wall to wall hetrodynes and plenty of CW sigs in the novice band. Kind of sad.

Rich  K1ETP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »

Note that we had a bit of a blackout on most of the low frequency bands this morning .
https://spaceweather.com/

Also many have figured out there's more to amateur radio then just 75/80 meters.  Cheesy
Why do CW when you can almost do nothing using digital and still make contacts.
Both 20 and 15 meters were hopping later this morning and 6 and 10 meters were open to Europe

Amateur radio constantly evolves with lots of new and different avenues to pursue.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »

You were just a little bit late Rich.  Conditions for the Old Military Radio Net on 3885 were very good this morning, from 0500 to 0700 EDT.  Band was both short in the NE and at the same time good down as far as VA and NC at least early in the net. Afterwards though about 1000 EDT, there were a good number of the usual suspects there.  Cold rainy Saturdays during the summer are good radio days. 

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
N0YXO

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »

Hear in the mid-west it was like some body just flipped a switch about 10:30 am local time was in a group on 3825 in Mn. and the band went dead could not hear a station 20 miles from me running 125 whats

Charles   
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »

It's Saurday morning, and I just did a bandscope sweep of the entire 75/80 band here in the Boston area. Not one signal present. When I was a kid, Saturday mornings were wall to wall hetrodynes and plenty of CW sigs in the novice band. Kind of sad.

Rich  K1ETP

I'm noticing the same thing.  Maybe a few "CQ's" are in order.  Should we use 3875 out of deference to the Lonely Guys net or use the calling frequency of 3885.

Hopefully, Al  W1VTP
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 09:38:41 AM »

Hear in the mid-west it was like some body just flipped a switch about 10:30 am local time was in a group on 3825 in Mn. and the band went dead could not hear a station 20 miles from me running 125 whats

Charles   

It really helps to be QRO. But if everyone sleeps in even that doesn't help - Oh I forgot, maybe everyone is out mowing the lawn before the heat sets in

Al  W1VTP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »

you got it Al  Grin
I try to mow after supper, say around  6:00 to 7:00 pm to stay out of the UV on my old skin as well as the heat.  Now that days are getting shorter, I'm hoping the grass won't grow as fast as it did earlier in the summer.  Takes about two hours and yesterday I was caught using the J.D.'s  headlights as dim as they are.  Finally just quit after mowing same rows twice.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 08:31:17 AM »

Working from home gives me much more time to do more listening. The other morning  20m was DEAD. No signals, so dead that I checked my antenna to see if had come down. In about one hour, within a 5 minute span, Europe was pounding in. Two stations in the UK commented that propagation into the US suddenly appeared.

How long will it take for someone to come up with some conspiracy theory?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015