The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help ID 1930's RCA(?) Portable Xcvr  (Read 3995 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: May 29, 2021, 06:13:57 PM »

Never seen one like this before. No identification plates, looks like RCA knobs Covers about 2 to 7 MCS AM or CW.
This one has been moded somewhat, with the addition of S meter and Speaker in RF current meter hole.
Mostly 1V tubes and 6V. Only have partial schematic and not opened it up completely
Does anyone know what it is?
Tnx and 73, Carl

* 000000.jpg (150.13 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 522 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »

It’s a SCR-288, an early WW2 transceiver that was used for training and replaced by the BC-1306 that’s something like a primitive AN/GRC-9.
Someone removed the antenna current meter and replaced it with a speaker and added a S meter but that’s a SCR-288. They had a set of legs that attached to the case to make them stand on there own and a hand crank generator for powering the transmitter.
The receiver is a lot like the old RCA AVR aircraft receivers.

Look at:
http://www.greenradio.de/htm2/e_scr288.htm

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »

Thanks Ray.
Now to find the meter!

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »

Hiya Carl!  Nice find!  Uncle Al, W1UX,  when he was down here in CT used to check in quite frequently on the Old Milrad Net and sometimes during general QSOing with one of those little RCA sets.  It always sounded very good, and he was consistently very strong on it over here in Stonington.  I, on numerous occasions, commented on that and asked him if it was getting any help from an amplifier, which he consistently denied!  Maybe had some magic coax!

I have read ( I believe in an article that Walt, KJ4KV, wrote on the 474 set in ER Electric Radio in Uniform), that RCA had a contract to make a large number of those sets for export to Sweden around 1940.  When we entered the war, a large number of the sets ordered by Sweden were requisitioned by the Signal Corps, and assigned the military equipment numbers.

They are apparently closely electrically related the RCA series of small aircraft AVR/AVT receivers and transmitters.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015