The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could this be Tim’s new mobile?  (Read 3761 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: May 22, 2021, 08:29:42 AM »

I think I found WA1HLR’s next vehicle. I heard he had one. Some guy in Hackensack NJ owns it and I’ve seen it several times. Great detail, down to the hand print on the rear side window!

* A07EB77C-5AA1-4C2A-9F0A-DC0B03F0DBF5.jpeg (310.57 KB, 1333x1000 - viewed 394 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »

Or maybe....

A friend in Texas put this together circa 99 or possibly 2000, I forget.

He has a vertical and iirc a 3 or 5 element yagi he puts on it depending  on what he's doing......

With the 40 foot tower on it, it's a great field day vehicle... Hang some inverted V antennas on it and a high band vertical 😎

--Shane
KD6VXI

* Screenshot_2021-05-22-09-17-56.png (1661.96 KB, 2160x1080 - viewed 373 times.)
AG5CK

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 01:50:18 PM »

Or maybe....

A friend in Texas put this together circa 99 or possibly 2000, I forget.

He has a vertical and iirc a 3 or 5 element yagi he puts on it depending  on what he's doing......

With the 40 foot tower on it, it's a great field day vehicle... Hang some inverted V antennas on it and a high band vertical 😎

--Shane
KD6VXI

I saw that thing on I20 about 10 years ago.  I watched one of his YouTube videos where he'd put a dually rear end under it to support the weight.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »

The UnderTaker is serious about radio for sure...  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuLoAr7SUtY

Vertical polarization has its own set of problems. That looks like a metal? mast (and steel tower top section) that extends thru the vertical Yagi's plane.  Take a look at 2:07 and 4:58.  Hard to say.   He may have a much different Yagi pattern than he thinks.   A 20' fiberglass top mast would solve the problem and make him WhirlWide.  

* And, the feedline needs to come away at a right angle to stop feedline interaction, which will require a 1/4 wavelength support at a right angle to the elements.  (metal OK)   Picky, picky...

These guys are water-cooled serious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfod6pgymc

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »

4040, another good friend.  When I lived almost 1k feet over Bonny Doon in a town named Boulder Creek (Santa Cruz mountains) I would talk to him ground wave.  He was in Half Moon Bay.  Died years ago, but was a top notch guy.  Also, a doppelganger for Guy Fieri!

Prime Minister is running a water cooled 40k triode built as specified by Charlie at Amp Systems Inc (ASI).  There is a Pic of it on his website as a 27 mhz ISM amp....  3 tubes exist.  There are a couple one off air cooled versions of it as well.

The CBers are getting ridiculous. 3 x 4cx15K, 4 x 3cx20Ks.  Getting 1600A service to the radio shack.  Guys buying ranch property to be able to get 3 phase power.

Where does it end.

Want a good sounding station, motor mouth maul.  He's all over YouTube. Highly processed, but takes it to broadcast quality.  90 pct negative, 125 pct positive.

Anyway, time to make dinner.   Anyone interested, ASI / Creative Electronics is for sale.  Charlie was working 50 hr weeks plus when he decided to retire.  Building lots of RF amplifiers for government and others.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »

On these guys:
"These guys are water-cooled serious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfod6pgymc"

There's hum. Is that from inadequate filtering? I see or rather hear that a lot on the few 'big' stations in my area. The youtube videos of 'amp builders' sometimes show just a bridge and a single oil cap that can't possibly have enough uF to filter the HV as well as a regular ham radio amplifier in that department.

There's a video out there of 'Prime Minister's' workshop. It's very nice, orderly, and little expense has been spared. There are large machines there that are of the fine quality that might be found in a small electronics manufacturing company and so he can build up most anything he wants from panel to plug. The place has more square FT than a small house. I could not find that video just now but it's well worth watching if it pops up.

As far as a mobile, I am in the market for a hearse myself, and perfer a 'full size' GM product with a 455-500 cube motor of 1971 spec or elder. Torque! Not too concerned about some rust or appearance. up to a point.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »

There was an analysis not to long ago about how much capacitance is needed in carrier modes....  It wasn't much.

I used to get a bad hum when I would record myself on tape. (remember those???).  I would get directly into either the electronics or the magnetics of the tape recorder. The radio had a direct mono output for the tape recorder....  And factory power, no problem.  A couple hundred watts, still OK.

Tetrode with handles, not so much.  I had that dirty 60 cps hum.  More of a buzz.

Knowing 4040 he took the audio output of his 101 and attenuated it for the tape recorder. If the Ft101 was grounded to an exterior ground rod that isn't bonded to the panel you really run this risk if the pc is using a 3 wire cord  and you ground unit to radio.  An isolation xformer would do a lot to preventing this, but.....  This is cb.

Most guys today are using sdr.  The rx is fine, but you still get that humming sound when you TX.

With the power levels involved,  not sure you could fix this.  Some guys are exceeding legal limit broadcast.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015