The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illinois Capacitor: Good Product?  (Read 3177 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: May 17, 2021, 10:40:03 AM »

The time has arrived to recap the 75A-4 which is loooong overdue. Having been a Sprague/SBE Orange Drop user for years, it was a surprise when looking through the boxes that only two .1uf caps surfaced - both original Spragues.

Was looking at other options and came across Illinois Capacitor (IC), the little yellow guys. Curious to know what others think of these or what you all use for coupling caps to replace those bumble bees, black beauties, or other paper caps in the 400-600 volt range? I think there are 10-12 in the A-4 but will need a good choice for other sets going forward.

TNX

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »

I get me 'little yellow guys' here:

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

Sal is a great 'small business' source, and never had a bad one out of hundreds bought.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

The company's been owned by CDE since 2015. An old American company, but products are almost certainly manufactured offshore these days. I've used a lot of their electrolytic and film capacitors over the years, and never had a problem.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
kc9pcp

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »

I used those in my Hallicrafters S-22R without any problems. I like them since they are tubular with axial leads, like the original paper capacitors, so you get  a similar look to the originals and they fit nicely in the original locations and lead layout. Of course about half the size or smaller though.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 09:06:28 AM »

Todd,
We used them a lot back in my work days in designs I had done.  Very good supplier with a great track record.  I would not hesitate to use them. 
Joe

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »

Just personal habit, or maybe "comfort zone", my "go-to" caps are usually Illinois Capacitor or Nichicon. But, for just general throwing stuff together for experimentation, I keep a stock of cheapo  Chinese caps, the kind you get from Amazon with weird names like "My Sweetie" or "Cute Queen". Most of them seem to meet spec on my capacitor tester, but I wouldn't use them in a HB rig or anything permanent.  In general I've really never had trouble with caps from any of the major manufacturers, other than back in the plague days.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »

Just personal habit, or maybe "comfort zone", my "go-to" caps are usually Illinois Capacitor or Nichicon. But, for just general throwing stuff together for experimentation, I keep a stock of cheapo  Chinese caps, the kind you get from Amazon with weird names like "My Sweetie" or "Cute Queen". Most of them seem to meet spec on my capacitor tester, but I wouldn't use them in a HB rig or anything permanent.  In general I've really never had trouble with caps from any of the major manufacturers, other than back in the plague days.

I agree .... IC and the con brothers have made good caps for years when they were made in Japan or Taiwan .... by the way I like Sal's Dimbulb tester .... have used one like it for many years .... has saved a lot of blow ups and fuses  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »

TNX, guys - ordered and received the IC yellow caps, will be installing them as soon as I get the electrolytics for bias which are on back order.

D, thanks for the link to Sal's. I have him bookmarked, a lot of good stuff there.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015