The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Hi, I'm new here!  (Read 940 times)
WA6BBQ

« on: March 30, 2024, 01:39:32 PM »

Am I allowed to recycle a post from 18 years ago? Cheesy
(mod says, just use the URL and point to it)See here: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=8591.0;topicseen

Call sign has changed from KF6PQT to W6IEE, to WA6BBQ. No more Burbank, now have my own 1/3 acre in Norco, CA (west of Riverside) where I can hang any antenna I want, limited only by budget, and a little common sense, and a healthy respect for gravity. 75M is a bit noisy here, but operable. WebSDR is certainly a game changer. Fan of CW, but still not great at it, fall out of practice every once in a while. Drag out the 10 GHz gear for the contest every summer.

Actually have an RF-related career now, county government microwave system. Getting toward the end of working on a sport pilot license in a gyrocopter, part owner of a little fixed-wing experimental thats almost ready to fly again.

Getting the AM bug again, mainly due to old military gear, picking up a T-195/R-392 set at the end of April. Scored an working R-390A several years ago. Still have my unrestored BC-610 and unrestored SX-28A. Cheesy Sketchy electrical panel is going to need a forklift upgrade before I consider powering up anything that needs more than 10-12A @120V. Still have my DX-60, probably the only tube rig I own thats ready to roll on AM at the moment!

Todd KA1KAQ, still got that monster mic boom stand? I've still got your Hallicrafters S-40! Cheesy

Does Joe W1GFH post here any more?

Jason WA6BBQ

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 02:05:11 PM »

For further "Old Thread" postings, "do I add post?" or "do I start new?"
see this: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=48473.0

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA6BBQ

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 02:43:35 PM »

Yeah, just saw that, oops! Well, in my defense, just wanted to give some historical reference to who the heck I was!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 03:23:03 PM »

Yeah, just saw that, oops! Well, in my defense, just wanted to give some historical reference to who the heck I was!
Adding the link to your initial post here does that.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 09:33:23 PM »

Wowsers - Blast from the past, for sure!

Good to hear from you, Jason, and yes - the Big Boom is still with me. In fact, I was recently talking with someone about your creative shipping method for the large counterweight. Still laugh whenever I think of it. That was good! And you did an excellent job getting the boom to Vermont from California, too.

Glad to hear you still have the S-40. Probably the cleanest I ever saw, but there was an intermittent or something going on with it.

Pete's right - you nailed it with the linked response. Pulling back old threads became a problem a few years back when we had some users who clearly had nothing else to do, so they spent every day online and would dig through old posts to find something to reply to. No imagination, I guess.

Here are a couple shots of the Big Boom shortly after moving here (3 moves since VT) when I was getting the station set up (still a mess & moving again soon) plus another one I'm sure you'll recognize. Sure puts the size of that beast into perspective!

Welcome back, and good luck getting the AM signals rolling again.

* Wall of Art.JPG (1092.17 KB, 3000x1995 - viewed 92 times.)

* audio&console.JPG (1460.57 KB, 3000x1995 - viewed 98 times.)

* atlasboom_truck.JPG (407.69 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 94 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA6BBQ

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 12:15:38 PM »

Haha, very cool Todd! The mic boom looks tiny next to those monster transmitters!

I recall I put the boom in a carpet tube with lots of expanding foam, is that what I did with the counterweight also, in a separate box?

And wow, historical pictures, ha! Was not sad to see the Mad Max pickup go away, but I do regret selling that VW bus in a moment of too-many-projects-itis. Lots of hijinks occurred in and around that garage and back alley.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 08:11:23 AM »

Welcome Jason!

Methinks you will do well on AM!

Dan
W1DAN
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 10:26:55 AM »

Todd, you're the only other ham I know with a Starbird mic boom. 

Those were sold by Graybar, along with other Western Electric broadcast gear.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W1GFH

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 04:49:07 PM »

Jason!

Good to hear from you. That's quite a callsign (BBQ) and very appropriate for the average summer temperature in Norco (!)

Yes, I'm still in the AM game, check out my QRZ page. We were starting to have coast to coast propagation on 10 meter AM this year. I haven't checked it out in a while, but maybe there's hope for 10 meter AM qso in our future?

Joe W1GFH
WA6BBQ

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 06:17:24 PM »

Hi Joe!

Good to hear from you. Yes, we'll have to try on 10!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:38:09 AM »

Welcome back jason! Still mostly lurking and fiddling with odds and ends on this end.

BTW Todd nice bumper on that truck!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015