The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:02:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brother Stair  (Read 6342 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: April 04, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »

For you SWLers out there, Brother Stair has left the frequency.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/04/04/colleton-county-pastor-ralph-stair-dies/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Stair

--- Post No Bills ---
Detroit47

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:00:43 PM »

Wink
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »

Brother Stair - Was certainly on the air way more hours than Larry King and Alex Trebek combined.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »

Certainly on the air way more hours than Larry King and Alex Trebek combined.
Right, and unlike that Larry King character, I've never passed a bad check or been accused of grand larceny.  

Last time I was on the air was a couple of months ago but I haven't been on a lot for various reasons but I expect that will change as I near retirement.

--- Post No Bills ---
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:54:40 PM »

I go by this " compound" every time I travel to my beach house at Edisto Beach. A good friend who used to host the ETV Show "Making it Grown, stopped there one time to check the place out as a possible theme for the show.. He said he got real uncomfortable after a few minutes and meeting the "Profit Starr". He said he was making sure his pistol was ready to go.

I understand that they are also under investigation for burying bodies of church members on the premises without death certificates etc. Crazy cult.

Pat
N4LTA
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 11:09:08 PM »

With the amount of airtime this clown bought, some stations will surely miss him.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 11:34:20 PM »

I heard him on a couple nights ago. I guess they'll have to run The Best Of Brother Scare?

He even made it to the AM radio band and maybe on WCKY?

I remember when they used to sell baby chicks on that radio station and they were shipped by the US Post office.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KA3EKH

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »

Wonder how much of the broadcast time he bought that he actually paid for? I spent years working in the broadcast business on the engineering side and know that no one will screw you faster then a religious broadcaster. When doing engineering work its always the same song and dance, the first job you do for them they pay right away, the second job is paid maybe thirty days later and the third job you never get paid for. Think the only Bible thumper I ever did work for that did not do that was one of the big companies, K-Love but the small one or group of radio station and translator owners from what I have experienced are all the same. Years ago when I was both young and stupid I maid a mistake of selling threes hack things like used exciters and transmitters trying to give them a break and quickly learned that when you sell something like a old used exciter to these people they have no problem calling you up and crying about how can you help them in repairing that old MX-15 exciter you sold them for $100 and it failed again and how you should keep repairing it forever for free being you sold it to them.
After a couple years of selling used stuff to broadcasters quickly learned that its not worth the trouble and then just started to do things like scrap or drag the smaller stuff to ham fest.
Don’t know why but for some weird reason I worked on a lot of Harris MX-15 exciters. By the early nineties removed a lot of them from commercial service and replaced with newer exciters so ended up with a stack of the dam things. I sold about six of them to a guy who wanted to use them as translators being they put out around 10 watts and were capable of being reprogramed and for the next two years had to deal with this guy coming back and crying that this one or that failed because it was connected to a coat hanger for an antenna or was struck by lightning and I sold him these things for $100 that I needed to stand behind them.
From that point forward took all that old junk out to Dayton and just dumped it at the Hamvention with the idea that I would never have to see it again.
Its funny that sometimes you get nostalgic and find that you want to have some of the stuff that you worked on years ago just to play around with. So far as I am concerned never want to see another Harris MX-15 exciter again.
And in the last ten or fifteen years have lived by the mantra of “sorry don’t do work for religious broadcasters” and had a much happier life.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »

And in the last ten or fifteen years have lived by the mantra of “sorry don’t do work for religious broadcasters” and had a much happier life.

Are broadcasters in general good about paying? Some free lancers tell me that you need to get the money up front? One good engineer that I know, left his business to work for a major supplier of BC equipment in the north east. I suspect getting timely money was an issue for him as well.

I co owned a electronic organ repair company at one time and we had to chase a preacher for our repair money.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »

" The Lord will provide " means different things to different people.

klc

What? Me worry?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »

I fo some work for a religious station on an as needed basis.

I don't charge, however.  I consider it donated time and claim it on the taxes.  They are a religious non profit, so it works out well.

Recently installed a triplexer to allow the two 100kw existing xmitters access to the TCI wire log along with a new Harris Dx100.

At one time the mtn top had an Ampliphase.  Poor guy had to climb the mtn 3 times a day to manually qsy the xmitter.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KA3EKH

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 09:49:54 AM »

Don’t know, maybe in other parts of the country things are different but here in the mid-Atlantic market things use to be good in commercial radio ten or twenty years ago back when big companies like Cumulous and Clear Channel were buying up everything and spending money improving the properties. Installed a lot of new studios, transmitters, generators and transfer switches. But then the bottom fell out of the radio business around 2005 or so and everything went down hill from there.
We were fortunate that we built out most of our transmitter sites after buying stations where we would install new transmitters using transfer switches and the old transmitters as standby and things like backup generators at the transmitters and studios also cleaned up lots of sites in some cases doing things like buying new pre-fab buildings for the transmitter.
Couple years back Cheap Channel decided to eliminate all transmitter engineers and desk top support people so that was my exit from the radio business. I still work part time in TV and have a full time job at the university so all the broadcasting stuff was always a side line anyway.
Have said it before but will say it again its great when huge thunderstorms roll thru now and you don’t have to wonder what’s going to get struck or need to be reset tonight because of the storm, weird thing is that TV transmitters are way more tolerant of lightning and power loss then the AM or FM stations.
So perhaps I am jilted, or bitter from not being in the game anymore and have a bad opinion of radio broadcasting but after thirty years of it have had my fill and picked up a couple bucks along the way. But just cannot see myself doing free or volunteer work with the potential risks and liabilities.
The two part time deals I have now in TV is looking after remote transmitter sites for PBS TV stations and have no problems charging them.
Think I put this up before but always worth another look, this is the link to KRUD radio and if you ever wanted to know what its like to be in radio this is the best example:

https://www.krud.com/

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »

I heard Brother Scare on SW this morning. I guess even after death, he is able to keep paying his bills?

RIP Mr. Scare...........

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 10:12:42 PM »

I heard Brother Scare on SW this morning. I guess even after death, he is able to keep paying his bills?

RIP Mr. Scare...........

Stair followed Gene Scott who died in 2005 but can still be heard on shortwave everyday and on a website 24/7.

At one time Scott had a nightly TV show that featured a rockin band that was worth tuning in for when he took a break and summoned them to play.

--- Post No Bills ---
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 01:07:31 AM »

Now get on the phones!!
-Rev. Gene Scott.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »

“In God We Trust” - all others pay cash!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 01:49:50 PM »

Now get on the phones!!
-Rev. Gene Scott.

" Play I Wanna Know..."!!!

He was such fun, I watched him fairly early on my sat tv, before encoding, and after...
He was always in the clear.
Loved how he ended up with this cosmic scribble on his white board!!

Good stuff, when he was "...teaching on the Pyramids..." Yessir! Good stuff that!

I bought a 4-5volume set dating back into the pre WWII days entirely on the Pyramids!
All archeological findings, nothing else. Many early pictures. I forget the name or the
author, but rather famous amongst people who "get into the pyramids"...

Fine entertainment, Dr. Gene...

Unfortunately, his replacement/follow up, she is spectacularly boring and dull.
Oh well...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015