The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KiCad and footprints  (Read 1692 times)
N1XBM

« on: March 19, 2021, 06:59:29 PM »

I am trying my hand at making a PCB. I took a schematic the WA1QIX posted here in the forum a few days ago. I made up the schematic and when I went to make the PCB I got errors for every component letting my know I had not defined the footprint. That makes sense, is the part SMD, axial...etc. My question is I'd like to do something basic like a two layer board with the bottom side being the ground plane and use all thru hole parts.

Is there "generic" footprints for example an axial thru hole resistor? Or do I need to go thru and define each and every part?
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 07:09:47 AM »

There is a footprint association app in the schematic editor that allows you to specify the footprint for every symbol. There are many of them. You need to know the size of the part and you can set the footprint appropriately. The app is to the right of the ladybug on the top line of the schematic editor. For R's there is a list of thru hole footprints, for example. Very few times have I had to make a new footprint.

Be careful on FETs. Sometimes the pin numbering will be different if you try to sub a FET and you will encounter the joy of throwing away a set of boards.

Feel free to send me an email if you have some more questions. I have been using Kicad for quite a few years.

John
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 08:12:48 AM »

I’ve also tried this and ran into a problem where, when I print the board, I’m loosing one edge of the board. I’m told it has something to do with some sort of index or reference point which must be placed before beginning.
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »

I have never set an index point.

Have you defined a board edge that fully contains the board. If you zoom in is one corner not fully closed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015