The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:35:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N3LHB SK to be  (Read 23688 times)
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« on: March 16, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »

I have been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, it's in my left lung and T10 of spinal column. Good job doc as he knew about it 7 months ago when it was only a 6mm spot on the lung. I have decided to put off the inevitable and forgo treatment. Anyway i have way too much here to dispose of, like 20 R390A's, about 12 RACALS, 2000+ tubes, will try to list in for sale section in next few days or so.
73's all, N3LHB 

* wall of shame.jpg (1331.11 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 492 times.)
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 03:21:18 PM »

Ed, we don't know each other but I am so sorry to hear your news. I'm saying a prayer and wishing you the very best. God bless you.

Mike / KE5YTV

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 05:04:38 PM »

Thanks Mike, most stuff will be best offer, cash and carry.

* work bench.jpg (1166.62 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 466 times.)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »

Ed,

I am very sorry to hear this.  I used to work you on 75 AM when you lived in PA.  I'm passing the word along to a ham friend near Akron.

My wife and I will be praying for you and your family.

God bless,

Tom and Nicole

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 07:31:35 PM »

Ed,
  Very sorry to hear such news. Prayers for you and your family.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:53:48 PM »

Your friends and fellow hams are with you.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 09:42:44 PM »

Very sorry to read this, Ed. Seems I just heard you on 40m this past week or weekend and thought how long it had been and it was great to hear you in there again.

Thoughts and prayers with you and yours now and going forward. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA3EKH

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 09:23:42 AM »

You may want to contact Fair Radio Sales over in Lima Ohio, they buy estates and would assume that the R-390 and R-388 stuff would be of interest along with everything else.
Have a friend who buys estates and have seen it happen many times that the local Hams will jump in and try to get the best of everything for as cheap as possible and leave the estate with all the junk and always though that sucks. At least the people who buy estates generally will agree to purchase the entire estate and remove the issues involved in getting rid of everything.
Have seen this before and think maybe the best course is that when you see its time to start getting rid of stuff maybe its best to just give away or at very reduced prices things you want friends to have and then try to move the entire estate as one thing then try to sell off everything part by part.
At least you’re in a good part of the country for this. Fair Radio is not that far away, maybe you can work some form of deal to have everything sold off in Dayton/Xenia once the ham fest starts back up and with Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburgh not being that far away you have a sizeable Ham population.
If I were not some six hundred miles away would try to help, good luck.
KA3EKH

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »

Addendum:
If you are interested I can post something on the Milsurplus , MRCA and MMRCG (Mid-West Military Radio Collectors) email reflectors about the radios along with it being “cash and carry” only.  That’s may be another option for moving the receivers.
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 08:40:48 AM »

Ed, very sorry to hear this. I don't know you, but I am reminded of my father, who had a similar cancer -- his was the same reaction. 

I'll be contacting you about buying some stuff. I'd love to have a 390A in my shack.

-- Ed, yes, same name...

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 09:03:56 AM »

I hate to see this happen. 7 months ago a spot and now a huge mess.

I wish you the best Ed, I have no right words for this and God bless you.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »

Ed,

We've never worked each other on the air, but I'm very sorry to hear this. My mother-in-law's husband had the same condition and he too decided not to go with treatment. I can't think of any words to add but I do wish you the best for everything.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
W1ITT

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 11:28:43 AM »

Ed...   You have my respect for your willingness and ability to face what's coming.  We all know that we are headed out beyond the ionosphere some day but it seems easier to postpone thinking of it.   The fact that you are taking steps to move out your ham gear and goodies indicates that you are thinking of those who you will leave behind.  In most cases, wives and heirs are not well set to know who to talk to and how much to ask for our radio toys, and they often get cheated.
My pals K1RQG (sk) and W1GWU and I made a pact years ago to take care of things for the benefit of the widow.  When Joe died, the first part of the plan went into action and Pearl made out pretty well.  More people should, as you are doing, be thinking ahead.
When my time comes I hope that I will be able to cross the bridge with as much dignity and common sense as you exhibit.  When your time comes, I hope the trip is easy and gentle.
73 de Norm W1ITT
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »

My brother-in-law, and close friend, Harry WE1X took the same course. When he stopped treatment he arranged for several of us to empty out his shack before he moved on.  I knew him well enough to know he felt right about addressing it and not leave the issue for his family to negotiate.
I commend you for your responsibility and care.
Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »

Ed, my old friend,

So sorry to hear this news. It hits home since some of us boomers are now pushing 70 and the average crapout age for a USA male is about 76. So many of us have maybe ~5 years left on average.  Of course most believe it can't happen to them and think they will live to be 100. We never know.

I remember the good times partying with you at Timonium with the Derb, HuzMan, Johnny Novice and the gang.  There was another party at W3FJJ's house where we started the "N3 L-H-B" accent thing.  I never laughed so much than at those events.  And the many lively 75M AM QSOs.  Great memories.

Yes, lung cancer sneaks up quickly and often in stage 4 before we realize it  -  like Rush Limbaugh for example, are gone so quickly.  How do we say goodbye to our good friends like you?  In 1000 years we will all be gone for sure. We will all follow you. I wish you the best in the time you have left, OM.

It reminds me of something Joe / WA2PJP  said to me 20 years ago at HossTraders/Nearfest,  paraphrased:  " Isn't this beautiful? Be sure to attend them all... I mean, how many of these do we have left anyway?"  He was so right.

T

Memories of the good times:

* K1JJ, K4HX, WA2PJP, W1IA.jpg (121.68 KB, 800x600 - viewed 414 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 01:01:51 PM »

Hi Ed....

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  My friend Warren W1GUD/4 faced the same situation several years ago.  He also decided to forego then treatment and went out with great dignity.  I only wish you the best.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »

My only thought, Ed, is that IF your particular version of it just happens to fit the right
"profile" the newer "biologic" treatments may be worth considering. I understand that the results
range from fairly good to barely good, but non-zero and without the downside of "chemo".

Unfortunately, we all are standing, and always have been, on the same line...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 08:51:48 PM »

Ed, really sorry to hear this.  I remember the first time I met you thinking, "...just how many R-390s can fit in a Porsche 911 anyway??!"

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 05:22:43 PM »

K1JJ,
Here is a better photo, I am Timtrons tee shirt, hihi

* gburg96.jpg (62.05 KB, 600x425 - viewed 503 times.)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 08:51:23 PM »

Gaithersburg fest, probably 1996 or so. Good time.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 05:43:43 PM »

Oh Ed,
I'm also so very sorry to hear this. 
Some of the same festers and past good times as the ganstas have mentioned.
We go back to my WA3YPI days in Pa. too.
Frank and Carol's parties, all great stuff.

So,...    eN Three! L H Beee....

- God Speed -

RICK  *W3RSW*
K9PNP

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2021, 10:12:44 PM »

Ed - I may not be too far behind you.  Of course we never know for sure.  At least no QRN or intentional QRM where we are headed.  When it is time, go in peace.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »

Sorry to hear Ed.. been awhile, peace,  Chuck W3FJJ.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 04:54:34 PM »

Well Ed I don't know how far along your cancer is but the XLY here had stage 4 breast cancer and the doctor gave here a 50/50 chance of being alive another five years with treatment. She is still going free of cancer more than ten years later. She has other problems now but she still enjoys life. I know it's none of my business but I think you should reconsider possible positive treatment.

I'm doing a MRI the first of next month so I may be looking at treatment? I'll have to wait and see. They found a spot on my left hip of all places?

Sincerely,

Terry
W2PFY

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 07:07:15 PM »

My mother was given 6 months at 50 pct, going down to 5 pct to 5 years.

Sheade it 5 and a half years.  Colon cancer.

After I stopped being an idiot and settled down, married, she let go.

It's your decision to make and I hope you made the right one for you, and your family.

Godspeed, Ed. 

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015