The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson 500 Modulator  (Read 10881 times)
WA1HZK

« on: March 11, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »

I am in the process of restoring and upgrading a 500.
RF is OK, HV shorts have been dealt with
Peak modulation very poor with original driver transformer. Upgraded to a larger transformer rated single tube to PP grids.
Lots of audio now but having tube failures. Grid to cathode shorts. I have a feeling I need some loading and series resistance feeding the grids, maybe RF chokes?
Anybody had issues like that?
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:43:55 PM »

hi Keith ... I assume you are referring to 811 failures ..... a few things come to mind .... the 811 has a Mu of 160 afaik which means a close filament to grid spacing ... ao a couple things come to mind ,,,, check filament voltage and parasitic activity .... this is a bit tricky in the 500 since the driver xfmr is on one chassis and the tubes on another .... what type of interconnect wiring did you use EFJ stock or something else?  snoop around with a ne2 neon bulb and see

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 10:31:21 PM »

Don't know what you're using in  the cable, but  I have some twisted shielded pair and I can send you a few feet if you want.   I just got done making cables for mine.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WA1HZK

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:05:26 PM »

I am working towards setting this one up with the power supply in the cellar and the RF deck in my office. For now I'm testing with the stock control cables but I had to remove the crappy HV cable set and use some China HV connectors and RG59 for the Plate and Screen power. The new cables will be 25 feet long. The Mod tubes are 572B's. I have -15 volts on the grids to tame the tubes down with the stock HV. Over the years I have removed the .005's that bypass everything in the decks ref. the modulator grids. I'm thinking some of those might need to come back, maybe .001's and feed the grids with some RF Chokes and .001 bypassing just in case RF is making it take off. Before I fire it up with my last set of tubes I will have a grid meter in line and be watching the grid to grid AC. Something is killing those tubes.

The mode switch was a source of shorts. Too much HV on old parts. Disconnected the un-modulated DC as it's not needed unless running CW. The audio has been completely gone through including negative feedback but I have not been able to get the thing stable enough to do some real testing on it with all these tube failures. This old leaky bucket will not defeat me. I'm interested to know what others have done for audio drivers short of using FETS. I want to stick with Glasfets.

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 11:09:25 AM »

My immediate reaction is that IF you are thinking of running "audio drive" 25 feet, that the best
way to handle that is with a transformer on the send side and a transformer on the receive side!

The question will be what impedance.

The instant thought is "600ohms".

Even IF the receiving side is a nominal 600ohm impedance, the send side
may be equal or lower.

IF you set it up for CT on both, you can kill any possible common mode crap along
the way. The receive side (the one that drives the 572Bs) will need a ratio that
provides the necessary voltage swing to fully drive the modulator tubes. Should be
easy enough to figure out.

Typically the grids of an 811A or 572B will need a few watts to drive into Class 2. Probably
AB2. So size the iron to fit.

This will of necessity require physically different transformers than you now are using as the
ratios will become different. But it ought to be substantially more stable.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K9MB

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »

I was looking at an online manual for the Johnson 500 and from the schematic, it appears that Johnson put 2kv on the plates of those 811As
They have about -7volts on the grids to limit current, but that tube is designed to run a maximum of,1500 volts and plate dissipation is 65 watts for quality RCA tubes that have the fins in the anodes. These modern 811As are woefully inadequate to stand that abuse. Going to carbon anode 572Bs with the 150 watt plates and higher voltage rating makes a lot of sense, I would think.

Another thing that makes little sense to me is to drive a class B modulator with a transformer.
For class AB1, it makes perfect sense because the grids are always a high impedance load that requires no grid current and therefore- no power to drive. When the modulator tubes go positive, the input impedamce drops very fast and that shifting load must cause distortion in the output. Putting cathode followers or a MOSFET driver will result in much cleaner audio and still provide the power needed to drive that 4-400A rf amp.
WA1HZK

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 12:33:34 PM »

Bear
Hey, that's a good idea. With that 25 feed could be 100 feet, no problem. I figure I'm not the only guy that used to lift his 500 supply and now pushing 70 can't drag it. OK, 6B4, Plate Z is 800 ohms so first transformer needs to be 800 / 600 then 600 / two grids. The Class B grids of the 572 B's are what? I'm guessing 12K CT?

I'm going to try my best to get running the way it is but failing that your idea is good. Put a transformer on the PS Chassis with a split secondary and that gives me a chance to balance the tubes bias like a real broadcast rig.

Does anyone know of a transformer prototype shop that can custom wind iron? Would be nice to have exactly what's required instead of the usual junk box stuff.
Keith

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:50:51 PM »

I used to drag my 125 lb Dahl around with no problem.  It's a 3A xformer.

Today I had to have my son help me with a 2.5A.

I ain't getting any younger. I think it's time to hit harbor freight and get another engine stand.  Felt it in my knees more than the back, so even with proper lifting procedures it didn't help.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:08:22 PM »

...I ain't getting any younger. I think it's time to hit harbor freight and get another engine stand.  Felt it in my knees more than the back, so even with proper lifting procedures it didn't help.

--Shane
KD6VXI

uh huh .... go ahead and get the engine lift too.  Shocked

Beefus

WBear2GCR

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

Bear
Hey, that's a good idea. With that 25 feed could be 100 feet, no problem. I figure I'm not the only guy that used to lift his 500 supply and now pushing 70 can't drag it. OK, 6B4, Plate Z is 800 ohms so first transformer needs to be 800 / 600 then 600 / two grids. The Class B grids of the 572 B's are what? I'm guessing 12K CT?

I'm going to try my best to get running the way it is but failing that your idea is good. Put a transformer on the PS Chassis with a split secondary and that gives me a chance to balance the tubes bias like a real broadcast rig.

Does anyone know of a transformer prototype shop that can custom wind iron? Would be nice to have exactly what's required instead of the usual junk box stuff.
Keith

You do not need exact impedance matches. All you need to do is to get enough voltage swing at the
grids, backed with enough current to run it into AB2, instead of AB1.

So the first xfmr can be a 1:1 but probably a plate (unless it is PP?) to p-p "line". Or actually plate to whatever you
can find that is not  super high Z. The secondary wants to be CT.

Then the next transformer needs to be similar but not LOWER Z than the first one's output Z to
whatever voltage ratio you need to swing the grids.

Don't think you need to custom build anything.

First step is to figure out the P to P voltage swing of the 6B4 and the required voltage
swing to really fully drive the grids of the modulator tubes. Then just fit the iron between
those two voltage ratios. Your design "anchor" works out to be the Plate Z of the 6B4 at
the plate voltage it's run at.

_-_-bear

Then the second transformer wants to be a large step up - EDIT, actually just the ratio needed to
drive the grids properly...

WA1HZK

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »

Brent and I are going to test it today. I removed some previous mods and the setup I have now seems to modulate OK. I did a lot of work on this radio in the 70's and it's coming back. The thing with these radios is that it's a struggle to ever get to 100% modulation with the existing mod iron. I had in the past rigged more voltage to the modulators that helped but turned out to be a tube killer with the 811's. With the existing driver transformer I was only able to get around 70-80% but after changing the iron there I can just about hit 100%. Sounds OK here but I need on air testing. 2-meter & 75 transmitter on bench with 528 & cheap china mic test setup.

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 09:12:49 PM »

...I ain't getting any younger. I think it's time to hit harbor freight and get another engine stand.  Felt it in my knees more than the back, so even with proper lifting procedures it didn't help.

--Shane
KD6VXI

uh huh .... go ahead and get the engine lift too.  Shocked

That's exactly what I meant.  I'm finding as I get older the chair to keyboard interface needs some slowing down haha.

--Shane
KD6VXI

WA1HZK

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 11:34:57 PM »

Made progress. Brent W1IA said the audio was all muddy. That was traced to caps for RF bypassing on the grids of the 572B Modulators. Once they were removed, the transmitter came to life for about 5 minutes before the plate relay crapped out and all the fuses blew again. Hey, the audio worked. I have a nice big contactor to replace the crappy 10 amp stock one so progress. Once I replace everything in this 70 year old radio that can't hack 2200 volts I should be good to go. It sounded good and looked good on the scope. I'll document everything that was done and post it here when I am done replacing high voltage parts that go bang. Last project, a 25 foot set of cables.
Keith

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
WBear2GCR

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »

Ya know sumtin'?

If I had one of dem dar transmutters, I think I would put in a pair
of 813s, or if I had them 805s or 838s in the modulator holes (change sockets,
drill and blast) and run 2000v on the plates all day long.

_-_-bear

WA1HZK

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »

Believe me, I had the 810's & 813's in my hands and thought about it but the 572B's are the more logical choice. I did add some protection as I had that issue of destroying these tubes by cathode to grid shorts.
So I did this:
Driver Transformer has 12 K across the secondary, 2 X 6K to ground on the 572B grids.
Also 1K resistors in series from the driver transformer to the grids with a 2.5 Mh RF Choke in series with the resistors to the grids.
Not sure what stopped killing the tubes but my last of three pairs that I had to work with are in there now are not shorting out.
Bottom line is the rig has to have a better driver transformer for the modulators. Sometimes with used not totally matched parts some effort is required to actually make it all work without starting a thunderstorm in your tube grids!
PS, 70 year old radio and I'm almost there... sometimes I short out too.

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
Detroit47

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »

I never have had any problems with mine. I use RCA 811A'S. I have all stock iron except for a Peter Dahl mod transformer. Not one of the new ones that are made by some schyster using Pete's name.
K9MB

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 07:37:42 PM »

I am mystified by the practice of driving a class AB2- B audio amp with a transformer to begin with.
The impedance reflected back to the 6B4 drivers must vary very widely from the full negative swing where no grid current flows and the load provided is very high to a much lower load when the 811As are pulling up to 100mA of grid current on positive peaks rising to 170volts P-P
For one thing, this bouncing load will cause distortion and on the other hand, the grid voltage will go quite high on the negative swings.
Not sure if the latter would account for the shorted cathode to grid problem with the junky tubes available, but the distortion must be noticeable to a critical ear.
Another mind numbing thing is that Johnson would put tubes in their modulator that have a plate dissipation of only 65 watts and put over 2000volts on them. How much quiescent current is present? RCA speced 32mA at 1500volts on the plated, or about 50 watts per tube. You must drop that down to about 22mA to give the thing a chance at 2200volts.
A pair of (good)572Bs , or 810s or triode connected 813s could handle all of this, though the Chinese versions of the 572Bs seem to short a lot with those wildly swinging grid voltages...
Why not build either a pair of 807s as cathode followers or build Frank’s FET driver that can provide the grid current needed and maintain a smooth drive voltage profile that will produce beautiful clean audio. A look at any good broadcast transmitter schematic would be instructive. Johnson designed some nice stuff, but in this case, they went wrong, and trying to fix this with new transformers is spitting into the wind, IMO.
WA1HZK

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 11:32:15 PM »

The plan for this one was to get it running again and with a set of 25 foot cords, let me remote the power supply. As they told Luke Skywalker, there is another, a sister... That one does not have a Power supply and I have plenty of KW class broadcast parts available. But that will be another story.

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
K9MB

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 01:32:40 AM »

Good point.
When I was young, I got a job repairing two way Radios and often got an impulse to “improve” them. My boss told me, “ just get the frikkin thing going, get it out and go to the next one!!
Got a design engineers job after that.... No cure for it, so fed the monkey out there in the zoo for 34 years....😉
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »

I am mystified by the practice of driving a class AB2- B audio amp with a transformer to begin with.
The impedance reflected back to the 6B4 drivers must vary very widely from the full negative swing where no grid current flows and the load provided is very high to a much lower load when the 811As are pulling up to 100mA of grid current on positive peaks rising to 170volts P-P
For one thing, this bouncing load will cause distortion and on the other hand, the grid voltage will go quite high on the negative swings.

"Also 1K resistors in series from the driver transformer to the grids with a 2.5 Mh RF Choke in series with the resistors to the grids."

The 1K resistor will drop a lot of voltage as the grid current swings upward to 100ma. If it ever did hit 100ma, that resistor would drop 100 volts!
You might try reducing that value to just the 2.5ma choke. The choke by itself might have 100 ohms DC resistance +/-.

Driving a varying impedance load is always a problem, and that is why EF Johnson used a low plate resistance driver tube (6B4). A step down from there would be nice so long as enough grid swing is available. One way around this issue is to use a Power FET as a Source follower as in the Millet A2 design:

http://www.pmillett.com/A2_buffer.html

I use this on a Viking 2 to drive the screen grids on the 6DQ5 P-P plate modulators. This simple circuit can easily provide 200v P-P to each grid, and source 100ma peak current or more. Some heat sinking will be required.

You might notice other similar circuits here on AM Fone, but those use a source resistor to the (-) supply instead of an active current sink. The active current sink offers advantages over a passive return using a resistor.

Jim
Wd5JKO
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »

Good point.
When I was young, I got a job repairing two way Radios and often got an impulse to “improve” them. My boss told me, “ just get the frikkin thing going, get it out and go to the next one!!
Got a design engineers job after that.... No cure for it, so fed the monkey out there in the zoo for 34 years....😉

love it !   that is just how it goes so much of the time .... it ok until someone decides to spank that zoo munkee  Grin

by the way I have a 500 rf section very clean available (no HV ps) unmodified if someone is looking  Smiley

Beefus

K9MB

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »

"Also 1K resistors in series from the driver transformer to the grids with a 2.5 Mh RF Choke in series with the resistors to the grids."

The 1K resistor will drop a lot of voltage as the grid current swings upward to 100ma. If it ever did hit 100ma, that resistor would drop 100 volts!
You might try reducing that value to just the 2.5ma choke. The choke by itself might have 100 ohms DC resistance +/-.

Driving a varying impedance load is always a problem, and that is why EF Johnson used a low plate resistance driver tube (6B4). A step down from there would be nice so long as enough grid swing is available. One way around this issue is to use a Power FET as a Source follower as in the Millet A2 design:

I use this on a Viking 2 to drive the screen grids on the 6DQ5 P-P plate modulators. This simple circuit can easily provide 200v P-P to each grid, and source 100ma peak current or more. Some heat sinking will be required.

You might notice other similar circuits here on AM Fone, but those use a source resistor to the (-) supply instead of an active current sink. The active current sink offers advantages over a passive return using a resistor.

Jim
Wd5JKO

Yes, the 6B4 may be the biggest reason it works at all. Nice big triode. It is like a big current reservoir- within limits...
Still, if one must use hi mu triodes in the modulator, cathode followers- 807s will work- is the best way to keep the linearity during that transition from high impedance to a sliding lower impedance because it can provide the voltage and the necessary current.
I have wondered why Johnson did not just use a pair of 4-125s in AB1 in this rig. Then the grid voltage never gets to zero and the interstage transformer sees a nearly constant load. I say 4-125 because they went with the Eimac 4-400, so they must have been enthralled with them. They put a pair in the Thunderbolt, I think. The 4-125s would give more audio than the 811A and run cooler also. Downside is thd need for a stiff screen supply and -95 bias voltage supply.
Of course, if you just want to get it going stock, this is all heresy...😉

WA1HZK

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 09:11:06 PM »

Some good ideas. When we tested it we got fine audio for 10 seconds then another short appeared. That was rough on the plate contactor so swapped that with a 30 amp one that will not fail and isolated the power supply. Brought the DC up slow with some 100 watt 6300 ohm resistors in the HV secondary. DC came right up tp 2200. Put it together with the resistors out of the circuit, again, 2200 volts. So the power supply is OK. It's the 70 year old High Voltage wiring in the RF Deck. I already disabled the feeds to the AM-CW-SSB switch, those were a lightning storm. I guess the last thing is to check & replace HV bypass caps that look suspicious and hard wire the modulated HV right to the plate choke. 9:00, tired, been doing this all day..... 2200 volts, same as an electric chair! I'll try again tomorrow. At least I know what deck is giving me trouble.
WAIHZK

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
WBear2GCR

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 11:15:30 PM »

Jim
Wd5JKO

Yes, the 6B4 may be the biggest reason it works at all. Nice big triode. It is like a big current reservoir- within limits...
Still, if one must use hi mu triodes in the modulator, cathode followers- 807s will work- is the best way to keep the linearity during that transition from high impedance to a sliding lower impedance because it can provide the voltage and the necessary current.
I have wondered why Johnson did not just use a pair of 4-125s in AB1 in this rig. Then the grid voltage never gets to zero and the interstage transformer sees a nearly constant load. I say 4-125 because they went with the Eimac 4-400, so they must have been enthralled with them. They put a pair in the Thunderbolt, I think. The 4-125s would give more audio than the 811A and run cooler also. Downside is thd need for a stiff screen supply and -95 bias voltage supply.
Of course, if you just want to get it going stock, this is all heresy...😉

I agree with Jim on this.

Seems to me that the 6B4 triode is relatively low Z plate. But we're only sending a few watts to the grids.
And yes the load impedance certainly changes. But once ur sending watts to the grids,
IF the tube has negative bias on it, then the load Z changes at the zero crossing - if it's a "zero bias" tube, the
current is being drawn throughout the cycle. IN the case where the difference between
drive is going from Class 1 to Class 2, my understanding is that the tube is entering into a non-linear
region to begin with. One gets some extra watts out, and does not hit "hard clipping", which
is a plus overall.

Cathode drive is fine. There are number of different schemes that do this.
But it adds an extra stage, because the follower needs to be able to swing whatever the
grid needs voltage wise, so has to be driven with a full swing voltage amp. I like cathode drive.
It gets rid of the driver transformer.

_-_-           

WA1HZK

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 04:44:21 PM »

Well I bought a set of HV connectors on E-bay, supposed to work with 5KV. First one connector vaporized now the cable flashed over. The ad for the HV connectors said use with RG-59.
Just making a note to all.... Don't. That's in the trash now. My last possible option is silver teflon PL's. Searching for better HV connectors that use RG-8 or 8X cable. That stuff looks a lot better for volts. This single holer can swing to almost 5K volts.
One of those projects where everything seems to break. At let the short is not on the decks.
Keith
WA1HZK

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015