The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:17:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Balanced Antenna Issue.  (Read 1693 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: March 10, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »

I have a 280 ft wire center-fed with 600 ohm OWL.  It goes into a Palstar 1500A tuner which uses balanced dual tandem roller inductors with a shunt capacitor. The antenna is directly fed to the inductors, with no baluns. From the tuner, it goes to an amp (off) and then my Flex 6400. It has been up for about 3 years and performed very well.

All was fine until we had a bad wind storm several weeks ago and one of the side middle support ropes came down. No real problem for the antenna except the center location was moved about 20 feet to one side and maybe 5 to 10 feet lower but now I have a very odd issue. The system works on all bands and uses the same settings as before.

However, on 40 when I return to the previous settings the SWR is high but received signals are good. When I adjust for minimum SWR, the receiver is dead. Return to the previous setting and I have high SWR. The SWR is based on both the meter in the tuner and the SWR meter in the Flex 6400.

What is going on?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 12:08:02 PM »

How much different are the "new" 40m settings?  Close or way far off?  I'd look at the roller inductor wheels to see if there's a bad spot or a booger on the wheel that happens to lay on a particular spot on 40 meters.  While you are in there, check to see that the couplings that turn both coils in tandem are snugged down and the Allen screws are tight.
Over 50 years back I built the "Ultimate Transmatch" out of the Handbook, using a quality Millen roller.  In recent years, old age and corrosion has made the roller intermittent at some locations.  By the way, I like that balanced L network configuration with a balun at the input end and have a couple of them with manually tapped inductors. 

73 de Norm W1ITT
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »

OK
I'm posting this only as my "learning" situation may help others.
I switched to another rig and the difference between receive and transmit antenna optimization was not there. In fact, the best SWR was where it always was.
It turns out that I had a split situation on the Flex. So naturally, the system was acting funky....
Oh well, live and learn.
Thanks for the help
Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015