The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:39:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini / Micro VNA & Filter  (Read 1528 times)
NC2W

Eric Thielking

« on: February 25, 2021, 10:43:36 PM »

Again, this topic starts with the following disclaimer: "I am not a RF Design Engineer" (with that out of the way), here's my question:

Are the cheap VNA's (such as the SAA2N) accurate/reliable/effective for use, to measure the frequency response of a properly terminated multi-pole filter?

If I confirm that a seven pole Low Pass Filter has the right frequency response, can I consider the results as accurate?  Can I translate these results (assuming no loose joints, adequately rated components) into a basic assurance the filter will perform?

I wanted to sweep two filters I've found laying around, and put them in something, if they appear OK.

M0VRF

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 02:33:59 AM »

Yes, I purchased a nanoVNA over a year ago and tested it against my trusty HP8712. Results of the measurements were within +/- 0.2dB. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending how useful they are.
Try and find one in a decent case.

JB.
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:57:26 AM »

I will second the previous recommendation from M0VRF.  I have a 8714C  HP network analyzer and also did some quick checks of the NanoVNA and found it very close, and plenty close enough to do some real work.  I have an extra one in my kit to give out to customers if there needs to be some palm grease applied.
Mine are the $50 dollar ones, but the latest iterations have a metal case and two Type N connectors facing the user, which I would find more convenient.  I've seen that one on FleaBay for about $115.  If I didn't already have four other network analyzers (as well as a good old GR916 impedance bridge), I'd buy one.  But for the time being, I'm exercising restraint.
But, the short answer is... Get One !

73 de Norm W1ITT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015