The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified Carrier Chucker on 3880 kHz 1325 EST 13 March  (Read 1847 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: March 13, 2021, 01:28:38 PM »

Someone has been throwing dead carriers for extended periods with small off periods in between for about an hour now on 3880 kHz as of 1315 EST/1815Z Saturday 13 March.  Very loud here in SE CT  -35 dBm /S9+40 dB but may not be local as levels do vary up and down on extended transmissions. No identification via voice or Morse, no response to requests for same or requests to cease and desist.  Others are hearing it besides me.

Can anyone run a DF with the Kiwi SDRs on this lout?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »

Someone has been throwing dead carriers for extended periods with small off periods in between for about an hour now on 3880 kHz as of 1315 EST/1815Z Saturday 13 March.  Very loud here in SE CT  -35 dBm /S9+40 dB but may not be local as levels do vary up and down on extended transmissions. No identification via voice or Morse, no response to requests for same or requests to cease and desist.  Others are hearing it besides me.

Can anyone run a DF with the Kiwi SDRs on this lout?

Hi Chris,

I hear it now, about 5:30 PM local here in central CT on 3880. He is taking out weaker stations on 3873 and 3885.    I have directional loops at 190' and a dipole at 90'.   Between these antennas I can usually DF a 75M station within a state or so.  This signal is high angle showing no directivity on the high loops. It is about 15 dB louder on the dipole.  My guess is it is coming from CT or just over the border in the surrounding states.  I checked this reading against a known station in Greenwich CT and the DFing patterns are similar, so CT is likely.

A second station to triangulate with me would help a lot. There's a coupla guys with 75M arrays that could help. But when a signal is close like this one, I cannot determine a direction due to the high angle. Actually, the farther away, the better I can hone in.

This is an operating pattern I've seen before. I think it is someone testing a big rig and has no dummy load to handle the high power. He does not interfere deliberately but tests 5 KHz away from QSOs thinking he is not bothering anyone.  Testers need to go down the band to a desolate area to test -   away from activity, if they must.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015