The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas and backup generators  (Read 9912 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 12:08:31 AM »

I still think nuclear is the eay to go.  And we can have SpaceX send the spent rods to the sun to eliminate most of the waste!  😜😜

--Shane
KD6VXI

yes nuclear

Set the controls for the heart of the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbXIMZmVv8

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

I know exactly what you're talking about with ice storms.

I entailed one a few years ago.  Brought the 10 meter ground plane down.  This is an antenna that thus far had zero failures, being installed at the north pole and on a drill rig in the north sea. Mine folded in half with the radial ice load.  I posted pics of it on this board when it happened.  The mfg went above and beyond, sleeving the section that broke internally and all new aluminum.  To date, this is the inky known failure.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=25927.0

A few years before, over Xmas, someone hit the power xformer feeding the community after losing control of their car.  72 hours with no power.  We ended up starting the stove up with power extracted from the inverter in my 1 ton diesel.  At some point the pellet stove came out and we used fire for cooking xmas hamburgers!  

Regularly lost power for a day until they put new cross members that where designed to shed ice.  Same thing with the transformers on the poles, they had new poles installed because woodpeckers where destroying them and when they where putting the replacements in, the new cross members and transformers with covers where installed.  After that we didn't lose power due to weather again.

This was all in California.  Kern County.  Tehachapi mountains. 6k foot elevation.

And our wind Generators never went down, either.  Even jn single digits!

Weather is one of those things that can kill, and we sometimes forget it.

--Shane
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 11:31:14 AM »

Generac stock has been doing well. Californians and Texans want back up generators now, more than ever. I figure someone must be making a killing. Maybe its them.

A hot ticket out here on the left coast is solar + batteries. This is useful even when the juice is flowing from the grid to avoid buying power when it is expensive. I know for awhile there was a long lead time for Tesla Powerwalls. Maybe there still is.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »

For other than catastrophic outages, those in TX with natural gas will find it a good fuel for generators.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015