The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:42:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams on the Tonight Show  (Read 5001 times)
W1UK

« on: May 14, 2005, 09:30:53 AM »

Couple of our guys beat out some X'ers using good old CW versus cell phone text messaging:

http://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 02:22:30 PM »

The CW guys beat the tar outta the text message guys !!!!

The message:

I just saved a bundle on my car insurance.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 02:24:30 PM »

It was Excellent... Cheesy
W4LTM
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 04:04:51 PM »

That was great!

Got to get me one of those green visors though.
VE3BEE
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 04:13:50 PM »

Sure was neat, but they should have had a couple of 60wpm ops, would have cut the time in half...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 05:58:51 PM »

The attire was supposed to recall the landline telegraphers of years gone by.  One small inconsistency, though.  The guys who wore the green visors and garters on their sleeves to work communicated in American Morse, using the old click-clack sounders, not International Morse used for the demonstration.

Perhaps it would have been more authentic to have conjured up an image of the Titanic's radio room rather than an old fashioned telegraph office.

This act was billed as a demonstration of Morse Code vs. text messaging, not necessarily having anything to do with amateur radio.  However, they gave some good publicity for amateur radio by letting the audience know how and why they acquired their proficiency in cw.  Pretty good for what you can normally expect over commercial TV.

Jay Leno's show is one of the few that I find palatable enough to watch and actually enjoy from time to time.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 02:51:46 AM »

This act was billed as a demonstration of Morse Code vs. text messaging, not necessarily having anything to do with amateur radio. However, they gave some good publicity for amateur radio by letting the audience know how and why they acquired their proficiency in cw. Pretty good for what you can normally expect over commercial TV.

And the plug came from a person who the manager of Yaesu's Engineering/ R&D Dept. Amateur Division.

Here's a bio; go down about a quarter of the page: http://www.hamcon.org/Breakfast.htm

Here's a crew on the Queen Mary:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 12:10:43 PM »

And the plug came from a person who the manager of Yaesu's Engineering/ R&D Dept. Amateur Division.

I wasn't sure if Chip was still with Yaesu.  I used to run into him at Dayton back in the early 80's and we communicated often by phone, when I ran the service dep't of a commercial two-way radio firm that also did warranty work for Yaesu.  I wouldn't have recognised him on the TV show, but, alas,  that was over 20 years ago.

Speaking of CW and Yaesu, those who are members of Topband Reflector are aware of the issues cw ops have been having with Yaesu regarding transmitted key clicks from some of their newest top of the line transceivers.  Information on how to fix the problem can be found on the W8JI website.  It would cost Yaesu at most only a few dollars per rig to install the mods in the production line.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015