The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:45:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the bands are crappy  (Read 2578 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: May 13, 2005, 09:41:42 PM »

Is it all my receivers or can anyone hear much on any of the bands?  They have been dead all day.  20 meters the OF's band only had a couple of stations when I tuned across them.  I have been working on my NC 300 and wanted to listen to both upper and lower sideband signals.  

Not much luck.  Has there been a monster flare or are all the T'storms in my neighborhood absorbing the RF?
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 05:51:40 AM »

About 6pm (EDT) last evening I tuned around 40 and heard squat, though the SWBC was there.  Then about 630 (I was at the ball field watching my kid's baseball practice) EU DX started coming in on the low end.  

Amazing to hear DX with good signals - a bunch of stations, not just one - working pileups in the lower 25 while above 25 - nothing.  Not a peep.  No stateside signals AT ALL.

During the day yesterday I was worried my receiver had crapped out - no band noise, nothing on 40.  At least the DX eased my dead-rx worry.
ve6pg

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 09:31:20 PM »

JIM...WE HAD T-STORMS HERE THE OTHER NITE..I THOUGHT MY RCVRS TOOK A HIT...BUT NO...JUST WEIRD CONDX...I UNDERSTAND A FLARE..I'M HEARING STUFF ON 6,BUT EVEN STRANGER,NO N.AMERICA ON 40 TONIGHT,(SUNDAY) BUT I WERKED A DU ON 40CW WID JUST 100 WATTS TO DIPOLE..I'M HEARING ASIANS ON 40CW,AND NO ONE ELSE...REALLY STRANGE....TIM....SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015