The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:59:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention  (Read 6598 times)
KA3EKH

« on: January 12, 2021, 01:54:22 PM »

I am so over this Covid thing and what its doing to everyone. It looks like the Dayton Hamvention that’s held in Xenia is now canceled again. So there web page is showing a count down to the next possible date in seventy weeks, two days and some hours.
So many opportunities lost, so much canceled and now the possibility of getting to go thru another year of this crap.

DARA Web page:
https://hamvention.org/

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:15:35 PM »

Maybe if more people rigidly practiced the basic precautions that were laid out over the past 11 months, we wouldn't be where we are today.

As far as hamfests like the Hamvention; hundreds upon hundreds of belly rubbing people moving used questionable equipment  from table to table or car to car, etc. The world population will not be affected if this doesn't happen until some future time.

I'd rather be safe and healthy then dead and buried.

Cancellations continue: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=46504.0;topicseen
I suspect there will be many others at least for the first half of the new year.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »

Maybe. The CMU web site tells a somewhat different story.
Detroit47

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »

Please post a link to CMU. All I have is Central Mi. University.

Pete some of us have been going to work everday.. We can't just hide in our basement like a bunch of kitty's.

Johnathan N8QPC
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »

Concrete masonry unit (CMU) is a standard size rectangular block used in building construction. CMUs are some of the most versatile building products available because of the wide variety of appearances that can be achieved using them.

Where do we go from here Huh Huh Huh

Detroit47

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:50:33 PM »

Concrete masonry unit (CMU) is a standard size rectangular block used in building construction.

Somehow I feel that was not what he meant, but I will go along with it.
KA3EKH

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »

Did not want to imply Covid being a hoax or not. It’s beyond my ability to speculate. The situation it has created is my gripe.
Perhaps the thing I enjoy most about working with this vintage military technology is the process of getting all the parts together, making them work and finally being able to go out into the field and put it into operation.
Regardless of it being a Ham Fest, Event like MRCA Gilbert where we have a split military vehicle show and radio event or events like the recent Able Archer 83 the ability to plan, deploy, set up and operate from a remote location give the chance to do all these things that the current environment takes away.
That’s my complaint, that’s my gripe.  I will leave the actions of the state, politicians and the clowns on TV up to everyone else.
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 12:27:14 AM »

Just saw on the news today that 2 different mutations of Covid-19 have been found in Columbus Oh. They "think" that the current vaccines will be effective against these mutations which always occurs even with the regular virus. Not cool. 
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 08:58:46 AM »

I wonder if anyone has done a study to see how many members of our community have become Silent Keys due to Covid? It’s very real, I had it, and got through it. Stay safe, we don’t need to see more SK members.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:14 AM »

I wonder if anyone has done a study to see how many members of our community have become Silent Keys due to Covid? It’s very real, I had it, and got through it. Stay safe, we don’t need to see more SK members.

I doubt they have added a checkbox "Ham Radio Operator" to a death certificate form.

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:30 AM »

I doubt they have added a checkbox "Ham Radio Operator" to a death certificate form.

No, but with the power of computerized scrapers and the information included in the Feecees database, coupled with the online obituaries, it wouldn't be much more than trivial to figure out a lot of it.

Morbid coding, though.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »

I thought that here in NYS that we per our governor, would be waiting till sometime in June to get the first shot? I guess I lucked out somehow as I'll be getting my first dose today.

What about the rest of you reading this thread, did you get your first shot yet? I am not interested in knowing that you are NOT going to get a shot. It's not that I don't care, rather, I am not looking for an argument that could sour the conversation.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 01:17:10 PM »

I have antibodies, and actually getting tested again today. While no agency has stated any definite facts about immunity, I haven’t seen any news of anyone catching again while they had antobodies. 
I had Covid in March and still test positive for antibodies.

With over 15 million cases in the US, that’s pretty decent odds. There were three cases reported recently in the US, but later confirmed that the second test revealed that dormant cells were detected producing a false positive. I asked my doctor about long term immunity related to “memory cells” and T Cells. He acknowledged it was a good point but enough is not known to form a conclusion. A very responsible response. No desire now for the vaccine as no agency will give any long term assurance that we won’t discover side effects. Look at drugs like FenFen and Invocana, 2 years later they discovered many bad things.
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »

What about the rest of you reading this thread, did you get your first shot yet? I am not interested in knowing that you are NOT going to get a shot. It's not that I don't care, rather, I am not looking for an argument that could sour the conversation.

Yes.  The Coastal Health District in GA (Savannah and surrounds) opened up for appointments (for 65+ and some others) last Thursday.  Had 1st shot of Pfizer today, 2nd in 3 weeks.  In 3 days they had booked up through the end of Feb and into March, and have temporarily stopped making new appointments.

Frankly, if an unforeseen side effect causes a second head to grow in two years — that's probably a better outcome than ending up on a ventilator — or worse  Cheesy

KD1SH

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »

Second head? Yeah, I'll chance it. Maybe it'll have a better set of vocal cords for radio, and maybe it'll get wrapped around Maxwell's Equations a little better.
  My state hasn't allocated shots for my age group yet, but as soon as they do, I'm in. My wife, though she's a year younger than me, has more vulnerabilities, so I'd rather her get it first.

Yes.  The Coastal Health District in GA (Savannah and surrounds) opened up for appointments (for 65+ and some others) last Thursday.  Had 1st shot of Pfizer today, 2nd in 3 weeks.  In 3 days they had booked up through the end of Feb and into March, and have temporarily stopped making new appointments.

Frankly, if an unforeseen side effect causes a second head to grow in two years — that's probably a better outcome than ending up on a ventilator — or worse  Cheesy

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
K9PNP

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

At least one in my county that I can verify.  One of the issues confusing this who mess is that many death certificates show Covid-19 as cause of death when it actually was not.  Apparently money and politics is now worth more than truth and ethics.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »

Well, lets see.

100 Years old with Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease contracted Covid 19 and buys the farm.

What did he die from?

Ya can get the answer that you want .... ..

KLC

What? Me worry?
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 05:05:32 PM »

I received an email Sunday night that the vaccine was available.  Went online to the Wellstar portal, and scheduled it for today.  Received the vaccination around noon today, no ill effects thus far.  

Yesterday I was able to confirm schedule for the second dose in three weeks, will be done with this on Feb 4.  I sincerely believe the benefits far outweigh the risks, to myself as well as the possibility of infecting others.  

I am not sure how many more sunspot cycles I will be around for, but hopefully this might increase the odds ever so slightly.  May even get to attend a few more hamfests!  No one really knows right now.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »

I thought that here in NYS that we per our governor, would be waiting till sometime in June to get the first shot? I guess I lucked out somehow as I'll be getting my first dose today.

Well, they're using the QRZ database for possible eligible hams that might be at risk for COVID, and since the QRZ database says that you're 180 years old (that's real old) they figured you probably qualify.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 10:03:38 PM »

Carnegie Mellon University. Little correlation between mask wearing and lack of COVID spread, in many cases anti-correlation. Far too many factors (many probably still unknown) in the spread to ever legitimately blame it on people not doing the right thing. Sadly, the so-called experts in many cases aren't.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 10:23:25 PM »

At least one in my county that I can verify.  One of the issues confusing this who mess is that many death certificates show Covid-19 as cause of death when it actually was not.  Apparently money and politics is now worth more than truth and ethics.

At least in NJ, that rumor is not true. I have a close relative and and close friend who work in the largest hospital in NJ. COVID is listed as cause of death, with heart failure as secondary cause only when you are admitted (and don’t survive) with confirmed Covid. Any reimbursement is no larger than with any other ailment. However, the prices hospitals charge vs the insurance negotiated rates are criminal. It’s real, and while many survive, it’s not anything to gamble with.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 09:24:14 PM »

No, but with the power of computerized scrapers and the information included in the Feecees database, coupled with the online obituaries, it wouldn't be much more than trivial to figure out a lot of it.

Morbid coding, though.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Hire a Goth to do it..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015