The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help finding or building a 500w+ transmitter  (Read 4714 times)
PatrickSWL

« on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:58 PM »

I'm working with some buddies on a project and we are pretty lost. We need to find analog am transmitter (500w-1800w) or find someone that can build one. We have been searching for a bit but it's not our area of expertise so knowing what to search or who to contact has been tough. Any leads would be so appreciated.

And if anyone here has the ability to build one we would pay them well (and pay in advance) for their time.

Here are the specs, they are a little particular but here is what we are looking to meet:

Input - 120VAC Input
Output - 500w to 1800w – What voltage – 500 to 2000 volts, 1 amp operating current, 2.5 amp maximum current. Must include a spark gap design.
Variable voltage from 0v to Maximum, as small increments that are economically reasonable.
Variable Frequency – 630Khz to 1900Khz, as small increments that are economically reasonable.
Earth Ground connection required.

Thanks guys!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »

Ok.

For starters: NOT LEGAL.

Yes, you can build it, but you can not run it.
Spark gap transmitters are not permitted.

What do you think you will do with it?
Probably for a Tesla Coil?

NG.

If you can not BUILD IT, do not attempt to buy one and run it.
You have a high probability of killing yourself or someone else.

You can not realistically plug in something that does 1800watts OUTPUT
to a normal 120vac outlet.

You are talking about covering the BROADCAST BAND and into the 160M
ham band. NOT PERMITTED.

The only way that would be possible is IF YOUR EMISSIONS MET FCC
PART 15 RULES

The only way to do that is if you have a Faraday Cage to work inside of.

So, if this is for some other purpose, why not say what that is??
In case I have it all wrong.

(btw, the fact that "someone else" does it, does not make it LEGAL or proper)

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 05:34:53 PM »

He's asking for a spark gap across the mod xformer, Bear.

He wants an amplitude modulated transmitter.

For what he's asking, what with the variable power, I'd not worry about spark gaps, mod xformers, etc. and go PDM or a large series mod tube.

The rest of what you say I agree with, other than you can get pretty decent power out of a 120 volt outlet.  You just need 50 amps at 120 volts Smiley

--Shane
KD6VXI
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 06:06:11 PM »

I don't know if Dave Snyder is still alive and is still doing these things on the side. He used to be infamous for pirate stations. He seemed like a smart cookie and sold (at least to me) some pretty good things at the hamfests. A friend of mine had one of his transmitters. It was a single 810 modulated by a pair. It was all BC audio and transformers, but was reduced to be run in 2 BUD cabinets. The audio was very good!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:26:41 PM »

Check with W0VMC
PatrickSWL

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »

Thanks guys, not being the hands on guy myself I'll forward this info to my friend to see what he had or hadn't considered.

WBear2GCR - Yeah we don't to kill ourselves keeping it in a faraday cage wouldn't be a problem though.

W3SLK - Any idea where to find or search for Dave Snyder?

Jim, W5JO -  I tried to message W0VMC but couldn't find him in the member search. I just fount w0vt and W0VMP did you mean one of them?

W3SLK

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 07:19:13 PM »

Patrick, like I said I don't know if Dave is still alive. If I remember correctly, (others can chime in to say 'yea' or nae'), his father and him used to build and run pirate radio stations. That was quite a number of years ago. Last I saw Dave was at the MURGAS hamfest when they held it in the fairgrounds outside of Dallas, PA. That has to be over 10 years ago. Or you could make it a learning experience and 'roll your own'. A transmitter is a lot easier to build than a receiver. But you would learn a ton from the experience. There are people on here that I am sure would help you secure the major parts.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »

Jim, W5JO -  I tried to message W0VMC but couldn't find him in the member search. I just fount w0vt and W0VMP did you mean one of them?

I don't think he is a member here so go to his QRZ page to find his email address.  I believe he has the correct one there.
W1NB

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »

Another option is Jamie, N2VJ. He builds transmitters for a living.
W3SLK

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 10:54:44 PM »

W1NB said:
There's another person I forgot about. Is he still doing TV or has he finished? I haven't talked to him in ages!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
WBear2GCR

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »

He's asking for a spark gap across the mod xformer, Bear.

He wants an amplitude modulated transmitter.

For what he's asking, what with the variable power, I'd not worry about spark gaps, mod xformers, etc. and go PDM or a large series mod tube.

The rest of what you say I agree with, other than you can get pretty decent power out of a 120 volt outlet.  You just need 50 amps at 120 volts Smiley

--Shane

KD6VXI

WOT?

No license, variable power up to 1800watts transmitter?

You guys are going to HELP??

Broadcast band??

REALLY??

Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 12:23:33 PM »

[/quote]

WOT?

No license, variable power up to 1800watts transmitter?

You guys are going to HELP??

Broadcast band??

REALLY??
[/quote]

What he said ↑

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
W1NB

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »

W1NB said:
There's another person I forgot about. Is he still doing TV or has he finished? I haven't talked to him in ages!

As I understand it, Jamie designs, builds and installs high power medium and short wave transmitters. He also contracts with a company in Syracuse, the same place Kevin, K2XAM works. He’s often on 3705 in the early morning, generally between 6:30 and 8:00, and on the weekends.
PatrickSWL

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »

W3SLK - Thanks I'll do some searching to see if I can track him down.

Jim, W5J0 - I found him on QRZ, thanks!

W1NB - I found N2VJ, it looks like he has built some impressive systems, thank you!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 07:14:43 PM »

I don't know what Patrick is up to but if he and his buddy's are going to play around with this stuff they should consider a solid state broadcast transmitter that you can buy plug and play. All one has to do is Google to source  manufactures.

Modern BC equipment is very frequency agile. I suspect that this request is being made because commercial equipment is very expensive and they are looking for a less costly way to get something on the air?   

It will be their responsibility to meet with FCC requirements for operation of this equipment. I would not ever consider supplying equipment to people who have NO understanding of high voltage equipment that can kill you instantly!

Whomever supplies them with said equipment could be responsible in a court of law for any injury or death that occurs as a result of said sale. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »

Everyone is assuming that he is located here or elsewhere under FCC jurisdiction. If this is going to be used in what sounds like a lab setting and not on the air, one of the many foreign built solid state AM broadcast rigs that float around ebay would be perfect.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WBear2GCR

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 08:49:33 PM »

Poor assumption.

He could have come on and explained his "need".
And the term "buddies" leads me to think these are juveniles.

Assisting something like this seems inappropriate to me.
Doing it, oneself, that's a decision the people involved have to make for
themselves.

_-_-bear

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 07:30:45 AM »

End of thread.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015