The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:37:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Recorded Sounds & Wax Cylinders  (Read 4400 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: May 12, 2005, 10:18:21 PM »

Explore early sound recording methods, two-minute wax cylinder records and antique phonographs; see plenty of rare vintage photos; and enjoy listening to early recorded sounds taken directly from the original wax cylinders.

http://www.tinfoil.com/default.htm

— Dedicated to the preservation of early recorded sounds —

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:41:27 AM »

Don,
Thanks for the site info. Fun to see and hear all that old stuff.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »

Hi Don:

Good site.

I restore old 78RPM and radio transcriptions at home for a second hobby and small profit.

www.dbaudio.net

It is fun discovering old audio.

Have a great weekend!

Dan
W1DAN
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:19:53 PM »

I have some form of dictaphone that uses little cylinders (I think one machine is used to cut masters).  I've been holding it hoping to find somebody who could used it for a collection.  Two of the rolls seem to be unused.  

Ed W1XAW
w1guh
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 09:13:50 AM »

Love that site and the old phonograph pix.  Speaking of that, I went out
to Sagamore Hill a couple of weeks ago to tour Teddy Roosevelt's home, and in the museum they were playing a recording of an old phonograph record of one of his campaign speeches.  They also had displayed two versions of it...the 78 rpm disk and a cylinder.

But on to Mr. Edison...

He sure invented a whole bunch of stuff that we take for granted today.  But the more I learn about the person...well...he was very, very definitely not a nice guy...from any viewpoint.

Two examples...

(This comes from the Tom Hanks produced HBO mini-series of From the Earth to the Moon.  (highly recommeded)

Some guy (forget his name) made a movie by the same name sometime in the early days of silent flicks, and was a pioneer in special effects.  (Well, in those days cutting and splicing film was a special effect).  The result was a real ground-breaker in entertainment.

So the film did very well in England.  The artist was all prepared to take it to America and release the film here.  But when he got here he found out that it had already been released in a way that precluded him from ever getting any royalties at all from the showing.

Seems our friend, Mr. Thomas Alva, had been to England, saw the flick, and bribed the theatre to give him copy.  He brought it home, and ....you know the rest.

Second example...well, what Mr. Thomas and his good buddy Westinghouse did to Tesla...

So...what does this mean?  Nice guys finish last?  Marketing savvy beats technical savvy anyday?  Or...frig you buddy before your buddy frigs you?

Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015