The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:26:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe Scout 680  (Read 1997 times)
WD4DMZ

« on: January 01, 2021, 12:05:41 AM »

Last week I picked up a Globe Scout 680 on eBay for $70. Lots of pics showed it was mostly there albeit dirty, rusty and somewhat bent.

After recapping, a new 6L6 modulator, a few new resistors, power cord, toggle switches it is on the air and works well on AM.

Couple of questions:

The final is a 6293 instead of a 6146. That may be a good thing as the 6293 is a heavy duty version of the 6146. The oscillator tube is a 6W6 instead of a 6V6. Works well but when I put in a 6V6 it would not oscillate. Th wiring is really messy and there may be a mod in there somewhere. Anyone heard of this tube swap?

The 5 crystals I have all resonate about 500 to 1,000 Hz over the nameplate. The 6W6 maybe? I added a 25mmfd cap in series with the xtal and that solved the problem but would prefer not to have that extra cap in the circuit. Any ideas?

Rich
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:40:24 AM »

Check the circuitry with the schematic and also check and follow the wiring procedure and pictorial wiring diagrams.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 09:14:56 AM »

Yep, got one just like it, except it's a 65A. At some point, the original iron had given up the ghost and someone had kludged in "someting close?",but of course not. Pulled out the kludge and jumper leaded in the necessary voltages... no drive! Oscillator not running. I fiddled with it for a couple hours checking, replacing, and still no joy; so I stripped the nasty, cobbled up beast down to bits. I'll get back on it someday just like my 2/3'rds finished Globe King.

Ya know, I'm kinda glad last year was a hamfest bust so I didn't bring home more $25 crap things needing rebuilding. Really can't blame no one but myself though.

Phil 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015