The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:58:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 AM Rally Operating Event, Feb 6 - Feb 8  (Read 6209 times)
N1BCG

« on: December 31, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »

With 2020 being ushered out the door, here's something to look forward to...

It's coming!

0000Z Saturday February 6 - 0700Z Monday February 8

( 7:00pm EST Friday February 5 - 2:00am EST Monday February 8 )
( 4:00pm PST Friday February 5 - 11:00pm PST Sunday February 7 )

The annual AM Rally operating event, held on the first weekend in February, encourages all operators to explore amateur radio's original voice mode by showcasing the various types of AM equipment in use today ranging from early vacuum tube rigs to the newest SDR based transceivers.

"Participation in the the AM Rally has continued to grow over the past five years as more ops explore the mode. Based on the success of last year's "Ladies Night" feature on Saturday, YLs are again invited to take to the airwaves and enjoy the camaraderie. For all ops, the AM Rally operating event is a great way to beat the winter, and covid, blues."

The AM Rally is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), using any type of radio equipment. Modern, Vintage, Tube, Transistor, Software Defined, Military, Boat Anchor, Broadcast, Home Brew or Commercially available radio are encouraged to join in on the AM fun on the 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, and 6 meter bands.

"Those who have never tried the AM mode will find plenty of help if needed. AMers are an inviting group who enjoy welcoming newcomers".

AM Rally 2021 promo video: https://youtube.com/embed/5aGAL1I0rbY

Details at www.AMRally.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »

C,

I will not be square.

KLC

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »

Superb video trailer!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
n9ami

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:52:55 PM »

Looking forward to it again. Makes Feb. so much nicer.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:17:45 PM »

1 year went buy already? Never thought I’d grow old this fast! Count me in!
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:31:54 AM »

There is still plenty of time to apply for your special event call for the rally.  

Info HERE:  
http://www.1x1callsigns.org/

To submit your application, go HERE:
http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php/request

Looking forward to working you in February!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KD1SH

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »

Like New Year's day, the return of the Rally reminds me of all the things I meant to do this past year to get ready for the next Rally, and never got around to: finish my home-brew rig; build a bigger amp; put up a better antenna. Oh, well, there's always the 2022 Rally.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »

You don't need a big rig.  What you have now is just fine !!!!  You always have a good signal to my location in central New Hampshire, and that's far from you  Cheesy

Talk with you during the Rally.

Regards,  Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 08:50:55 PM »

Important Announcement:

For anyone who wants to send in a paper log for the AM rally (we do get some), the address is:

Radio Engineering Associates
Attn: AMR Logging
75 Mirror Lake Dr
Mirror Lake, NH 03853

Mail sent to the old address *should* be forwarded to my new address, but why take a chance?  Also, it may take a long time to forward, and the log may not arrive in time.

So, do use the new physical address.

Thanks and Regards,  Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KD1SH

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve. I'm actually reasonably happy with the antenna situation - it's a full wave horizontal loop mounted on 13' wooden posts. With our predominant weather patterns moving from west to east, the clouds are probably just a tad warmer when they arrive over Rhode Island. I should tell the National Weather Service that any attempts at measuring the effects of climate change in Providence will be skewed.
   I've got a nice tall wild cherry in the back yard; maybe I'll hang an inverted V there someday.
   Got plans for a bigger amp, too; thinking of a 3-500Z three-holer.
   Looking forward to the Rally - talk to you then.

You don't need a big rig.  What you have now is just fine !!!!  You always have a good signal to my location in central New Hampshire, and that's far from you  Cheesy

Talk with you during the Rally.

Regards,  Steve

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »

The Midwest Military Radio Collectors Group MMRCG Net meets Saturday at 1500Z on 7296.
Being the first Saturday of the month we'll be operating AM instead of USB. You don't have to be a member or running military gear to check in, just have some interest in military equipment. You will hear something other than the usual ham rigs, some running AME (carrier + USB), others with good old plate modulation.
Net control usually in FL with check-ins from NH to FL and as far west as CO.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 09:23:06 AM »

So now that the election is over, here's a suggestion to repurpose your MAGA hat!
I'm ready for the weekend!

* AM Rally Hat.jpg (177.99 KB, 800x533 - viewed 267 times.)
W2JBL

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 04:58:29 PM »

This event was a really good example of why 5 KHZ between AM QSO's does not work. Why not rename it Splatterfest?
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »

At one point saturday night i must've heard 6 qso's going on between 3870 and 3890, with room to move around outside the "window."

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
AG5UM

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »

I personally had a blast with the 2021 AM Rally, It was great to hear soooooo many people on AM,
I take that to mean AM is getting popular, that is good news to me!! I think it was a great success.
I enjoyed hearing so many great Am stations and classic tube stuff on the air. Friday night and Saturday were so busy
it really was hard to jump in without interfering with others, but I was glad so many people were up and operating.
Some of the "big guns" made a great showing also, stations like :
Don K4KYV, Tim WA1HLR, Steve W1QIX, Rex K0KP, Tom K1JJ, John W9JSW, K7YOO, W0SF, ............etc....
And of course the special event station W0W, and many more, were all blasting into Oklahoma loud and clear,
Great job guys and ladies!!
I was able to get the old DX-100 on the air and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to next year.
Thanks to the big guys for holding the airwaves for AM!!
Donnie/AG5UM

KD1SH

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »

Agreed, and thanks to all who make this event possible. This was only my third Rally, but it's become a much anticipated event for me; not only is it great fun, but anticipation of the next Rally provides me with incentive to keep improving the station.
  And, as always, it was great to hear W1AW operating AM. Bob, WB1GCM, did quite the single-handed marathon, working pileups from morning to night. And then there was Kerri with her special event station, W0W.
  Already counting down the days to the next Rally, and planning station improvements.

I personally had a blast with the 2021 AM Rally, It was great to hear soooooo many people on AM,
I take that to mean AM is getting popular, that is good news to me!! I think it was a great success.
I enjoyed hearing so many great Am stations and classic tube stuff on the air. Friday night and Saturday were so busy
it really was hard to jump in without interfering with others, but I was glad so many people were up and operating.
Some of the "big guns" made a great showing also, stations like :
Don K4KYV, Tim WA1HLR, Steve W1QIX, Rex K0KP, Tom K1JJ, John W9JSW, K7YOO, W0SF, ............etc....
And of course the special event station W0W, and many more, were all blasting into Oklahoma loud and clear,
Great job guys and ladies!!
I was able to get the old DX-100 on the air and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to next year.
Thanks to the big guys for holding the airwaves for AM!!
Donnie/AG5UM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015