The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linearizing a meter curve. Linear meter scale on a nonlinear meter movement.  (Read 1489 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: December 16, 2020, 12:09:59 AM »

Has anyone experience with a simple adapter for linearizing a meter which has a non-linear movement?

Thinking about the diode+resistor networks sometimes used between stages for log amps, expanders, compressors, etc.

I have two nice old RF ammeters, thermocouple types, but no thermocouples for them. I'd like to clean 'em up and run them off small toroidal current transformers and rectifier followed by possibly a 'bunch of diodes and resistors' to linearize the curve, but will use an op amp or something active if there's no other way.

I have been thinking that since they are 3mA DC full scale deflection, they could be run as DC voltmeters and conected to some sort of network.  Just can't seem to beat my brain hard enough to envision it. Huh Tongue Embarrassed Roll Eyes

The full scale reading of 20A occurs at 3mA DC. The scales are almost linear as well, so that would be good enough. They are for relative indication only. They match a set of other meters for another part of the same old frankenrat I been working off and on for a few years.. Would be super-nice in the antenna matcher section.

Thanks!

p.s. the blue and orange are the responses of the meters for the positions on the scale. The green is what i want to approach.

* meter notes graph for RF ammeters only.png (40.78 KB, 870x688 - viewed 244 times.)

* rf ammeters_20A - TC_type - 3mA DC.jpg (115.97 KB, 914x485 - viewed 245 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 02:03:22 AM »

nailed it like jelly to a tree LOL. just tweaking the curve at this point.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015