The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 meter antenna  (Read 2935 times)
K8LEN

« on: December 13, 2020, 07:51:47 PM »

Has anyone ever used one of these antennas?...I have limited space but the length is OK for my space.

Antenna, 160 Meter reduced size sloper for small spaces HS-PRO-II
It  is on E-BAY.
POB/K8LEN Shocked

73<br />POB/K8LEN.......SOUTHERN..INDIANA
licensed since 1958
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »

The link did not seem to work. I use a 1/4 wave sloper, shortened with a loading coil. I was in a hurry so I purchased it from a guy in TX. Good construction. It’s about 65 ft long. I feed it against my tower from the 40ft point. Does it work? I run a lot of FT8 and CW. Last winter I finished my WAS on 160.  Over the past 3 years I’ve worked 71 countries I also worked into N Cook island last year, on FT8. Just worked K9FD a third time in Hawaii.

It is narrow banded and it’s definitely not as good as a larger antenna but it gets me on 160. My propert is 50x125 so space is tight. Oh y@, I’m also 2 miles away from WABC 770 kHz (50kw) so a good receiver is the key. I also use a magnetic loop for receiving.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »

He didn't post any link.
But here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenna-160-Meter-reduced-size-sloper-for-small-spaces-HS-PRO-II-/133027131935

Here is the seller web site:
http://ham-radio-antenna.net/antenna_160_meter_reduced_size_sloper_for_small_spaces_hs_pro_ii.htm

Google makes it easy  Cheesy

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K8LEN

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »

Thank you PETE appreciate it, will now consider purchasing one.
POB/K8LEN Smiley

73<br />POB/K8LEN.......SOUTHERN..INDIANA
licensed since 1958
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »

Yup, same one I purchased.As I said, it’s a bit arrow banded,abt 50 kHz < 2:1. It will get you on 160 @nd if you are into digital and CW, it works great. Another idea is an end fed wire using either 9:1 or 49:1. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

I checked EHam reviews and there are none for this particular antenna.
Of course, there are a lot of other manufacturers wire antennas for sale and review:
https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-category?id=13

Personally, a trip to Home Depot and the electrical wire department for wire and insulators, works better for me and my wallet.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »

Yup, same one I purchased.As I said, it’s a bit arrow banded,abt 50 kHz < 2:1. It will get you on 160 @nd if you are into digital and CW, it works great. Another idea is an end fed wire using either 9:1 or 49:1.  

Another idea to get it to resonate higher in the 160 meter band would be to shorten it up a bit at the far end relative to the feed point. If you want to work both high in the band and low in the band, retain the excess length you cut off, and add it back on downstream of an insulator.  Use a quick disconnect jumper across the insulator to shift the antenna resonance point to back down to the low end of the band.  With a sloper, the far end will be relatively close to the ground, so unless the feed point is more than about 70 feet up, you should only have to slack off the support line for it to bring it into reach to connect or disconnect the jumper.

I use a set of two extensions with jumpers to get full 160 meter band low SWR performance on each end of my 160/80/40 meter coax fed dipole.  The antenna is supported with halyards at the ends and center, and at the half way point on each leg, to allow easy access for changing the jumpers around to shift the antenna resonant frequency within the 160 meter band and shift bands to either 80 or 40 meters in the same fashion.  The 80 meter section includes a nominal 5 foot extension in each leg to allow resonance at 3885 and 3705 Hz.  I also use smaller stub sections about two feet long, hung from the “inboard” side of either the 3885 to 3705 or 3705 to 160 meter segment insulators in lieu of the jumpers to the next “outboard” section for best matching at the 3780-3800 SSB DX window, or 3500-3600 CW end of the band.  It takes only a few minutes to perform a setup change from one band or sub-band to another one, most of the time is spent in walking from one end of the antenna to the other.  No “antenna tuner” needed.  Open wire feed and a tuner for a full length half wave 160 meter dipole for multband use is not practical here.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015