Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
Paint Remover for R-390A Panels?

The AM Forum
April 13, 2021, 07:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Remover for R-390A Panels?  (Read 1074 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: November 10, 2020, 09:53:06 PM »

Anyone have a sure-fire stripper for the paint on R-390A and similar mil panels??

Chemical stripper.
Not blasting or abrading, although I'm curious if that is the only two methods that
actually work? In which case, what did you use to not muck it up?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »

On aluminum panels, I have used aircraft paint stripper, walnut shell blasting in a cabinet, and soda blasting...all results were satisfactory...I would stay away from bead or sand blasting...and you know good old hand sanding on a piece that size...just ain't that bad....good luck....Steve
W4RFM

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »

I have used the Kleen Strip brand for years.  It easily takes the paint off old metal and  (powder coated I am told.) I like to use the spray cam and place the object on old newspaper, and give it plenty of time to work.

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »

https://savogran.com/removers.html

This is a product that we used in another life to refurbish wood & metal products.(Liquid Kutzit®) It needs to be used outside or in a well ventilated place.  I worked there part time a long time ago and this is no lie, I wore sneakers on the job and they literally melted! Most of the time we had to apply several coats of the stuff to get the objects paint free. It did not harm wood or metal in any way. Please send a commission to ......................   .......................Some of the other stuff they sell may work better?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2JBL

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 12:41:39 AM »

Rock Miracle paint remover if the EPA didn't ban it. Used use it to strip paint and Bondo off of cars before metal work. Some scraping required. Plastic paint scrapers work well for that. The stuff cleans up with tap water. You know it's good 'cause it eats flesh...
K0ELB

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »

I took mine into the local motorcycle shop that does Cerakote and had them lightly blast it with whatever they decided as best and Cerakote it. No nasty chemicals to deal with, and it only cost me $100 total.
After that I took the knobs and Veeder Root cover in to be powdercoated with black krinkle. That was another $48. So, for $150 I saved myself a lot of trouble dealing with chemicals and trying to paint it all. I know I couldn't have done a better job at twice the price.

* 43BBCDEC-E33D-4D1E-AE8F-3848391BE6F1.jpeg (3559.11 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 69 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015