The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:16:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antennas? Houston Chinese Consulate  (Read 2697 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: November 02, 2020, 01:39:22 PM »

Ever since the story broke in July about the U.S. ordering the closing of the Chinese consulate in Houston, I've wondered about the unusual large emblem on the four sides of their building.  Has anyone else thought about this or heard anything about it being a shroud for antennas, or it is a valid emblem (meaning what), both? My wife thinks the symbol is 'kou' - country.

Photo below.

* Chinese consulaet Houston072020.jpeg (408.14 KB, 1200x720 - viewed 360 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »

I have no idea about the sign, but....

I worked in IT at a couple shops in Houston back in the turn of the century (feels so weird saying that!)

Almost EVERYONE in the design shop of the major air conditioning mfg I worked at was Chinese.  Not just Chinese, but they where here on Visa's.

I always wondered how much of the staff was either committing corp espionage or outright a spy of one sort or another.

After that story broke this year, I really looked back at the people I had known then.  The ones I remembered don't have a facebook or any other social media.

I tend to agree, now, that the embassy was a spy ring.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »

I tend to agree, now, that the embassy was a spy ring.

I always thought that all Embassy's from any nation were (are) spy headquarters hiding in plain sight.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »

That's probably true Terry!

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K9PNP

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »

That has always been part of an embassy's function.  What's going on in the world at the time is normally what defines how big a part and other specifics.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:48 AM »

Embassies have no reason to hide antennas, in general.  They have always had the need to communicate with the homeland and other embassies.  Further, listening to the host nation has always been a legal and legitimate mission.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015