The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:48:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 tone into an AM TX ?  (Read 2990 times)
VE7RF

« on: October 25, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »

When a single tone is fed into an  AM  rig, the pattern on a monitor scope resembles what you would see  when a  2 tone is fed into a  ssb  rig.   What does the monitor scope look like  when a 2 tone is fed into an  AM  rig ?    My  2  tone gen is offline right now, and so is the scope.

Tnx...  Jim   VE7RF 
W1TAG

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »

Jim,

Take a look at:
http://www.w1tag.com/2_Tone.htm

Should answer your question. Good was to check positive peaks.

John, W1TAG
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:30:46 PM »

I attach IMD plots of two of my rigs. Getting low IMD at 100% modulation is not easy.

The first image shows the math relation of each blip on the pan adapter.

You might recall a QST article on the K7DYY Super Senior. They specified the IMD but they only used one tone!

Jim
Wd5JKO

* 20A_10W_AM_2_Tone_100_Percent_Mod.jpg (64.82 KB, 906x649 - viewed 206 times.)

* G76_2_Tone_IMD_50_Percent_Mod.PNG (36.55 KB, 713x381 - viewed 209 times.)

* G76_2_Tone_IMD_100_Percent_Mod.PNG (29.5 KB, 709x357 - viewed 200 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 01:20:31 AM »

When a single tone is fed into an  AM  rig, the pattern on a monitor scope resembles what you would see  when a  2 tone is fed into a  ssb  rig.   What does the monitor scope look like  when a 2 tone is fed into an  AM  rig ?    My  2  tone gen is offline right now, and so is the scope.

Tnx...  Jim   VE7RF  

Hi Jim,

When transmitting an AM carrier, one tone will show THD, total harmonic distortion.   Two tones will show IMD, inter-modulation distortion.

The object is to get the THD peaks down below -25 dB and the 3rd order IMD peaks down at -30dB or better.

Anything poorer than the above numbers will generally start to cause QRM splatter to adjacent stations when running legal limit.

It's easy to give out THD or IMD reports to another station when he injects a tone(s) and you watch the results on an SDR spectrum receiver. I've done it several times by request in real time on the band.

Jim/JKO: Yes, IMD measurements don't take prisoners. It takes a lot of work to get most rigs to show decent numbers at full modulation. I usually have to work hard to get decent numbers on my homebrew rigs, but it's worth it in the end.  The overall modulation system is the usual troublemaker in addition to simple improper final loading (especially with a linear) or flat-topping of various degrees.  The exception are the pre-distortion RF feedback loop SDR rigs.

I think the cleanest signal I've ever seen was when I tapped the 100 mW pre-driver on my FT-1000D and fed it into a class A one watt lab amp. It showed -70 dB 3rd order.  I could hear absolutely no splatter in the RX up the band. That then drove a  super linear class A  4CX-350J  at 40 watts. What a driver for the 8877 class AB1 linear!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
VE7RF

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »

When a single tone is fed into an  AM  rig, the pattern on a monitor scope resembles what you would see  when a  2 tone is fed into a  ssb  rig.   What does the monitor scope look like  when a 2 tone is fed into an  AM  rig ?    My  2  tone gen is offline right now, and so is the scope.

Tnx...  Jim   VE7RF  

Hi Jim,

When transmitting an AM carrier, one tone will show THD, total harmonic distortion.   Two tones will show IMD, inter-modulation distortion.

The object is to get the THD peaks down below -25 dB and the 3rd order IMD peaks down at -30dB or better.

Anything poorer than the above numbers will generally start to cause QRM splatter to adjacent stations when running legal limit.

It's easy to give out THD or IMD reports to another station when he injects a tone(s) and you watch the results on an SDR spectrum receiver. I've done it several times by request in real time on the band.

Jim/JKO: Yes, IMD measurements don't take prisoners. It takes a lot of work to get most rigs to show decent numbers at full modulation. I usually have to work hard to get decent numbers on my homebrew rigs, but it's worth it in the end.  The overall modulation system is the usual troublemaker in addition to simple improper final loading (especially with a linear) or flat-topping of various degrees.  The exception are the pre-distortion RF feedback loop SDR rigs.

I think the cleanest signal I've ever seen was when I tapped the 100 mW pre-driver on my FT-1000D and fed it into a class A one watt lab amp. It showed -70 dB 3rd order.  I could hear absolutely no splatter in the RX up the band. That then drove a  super linear class A  4CX-350J  at 40 watts. What a driver for the 8877 class AB1 linear!

T

Tnx.   What  I want to know is.... what does the pattern look like on a scope  (not a sa) .....when a 2 tone is fed into the mic jack.

Jim   VE7RF
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »

Jim,

The scope waveform is complex, and hard to trigger the scope without jitter.

I attach one image that I had of a 2 tone test signal. Each tone has to be cranked down in amplitude with respect to the value needed to 100% modulate 1 tone.

Oh, My G76 was decent at 50% modulation, and much less so at 100% modulation. This is due in part to a Negative Peak Limiter used at a high level on the modulated B+. Fortunately I do not speak with sine waves!

Jim
Wd5jko

* 2_Tone 80 percent.JPG (1214.48 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 195 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015