The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew a plate choke for 4-1000 GG with warc  (Read 18163 times)
KA7WOC

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 11:25:17 AM »

My thumb is pointing up

Bob (aka Boatyard)
W1ITT

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »

It appears that you are using the first three turns of that nice edge-wound inductor for 10 meters.  If so, the Q would be awful, especially having the whole rest of the coil coupled to its field.  Winding a 10m coil from some copper water tubing, then moving all the other band taps down by that many microhenries should get you better results on 10m.  You have enough room for it between the anode connection and the end of the inductor, where that long strap is now.
I like the looks of those commie vacuum relays all in a line.   Dr Alex sells some good stuff.  It's actually a bit more elegant than a big honking rotary bandswitch.  I ran a 4-1000A for about four decades, in conventional grid driven, grounded screen grid driven, and grounded grid.  It's a hard tube to kill, but getting harder to find now.

73 de Norm W1ITT
KL7OF

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 08:13:29 PM »

It appears that you are using the first three turns of that nice edge-wound inductor for 10 meters.  If so, the Q would be awful, especially having the whole rest of the coil coupled to its field.  Winding a 10m coil from some copper water tubing, then moving all the other band taps down by that many microhenries should get you better results on 10m.  You have enough room for it between the anode connection and the end of the inductor, where that long strap is now.
I like the looks of those commie vacuum relays all in a line.   Dr Alex sells some good stuff.  It's actually a bit more elegant than a big honking rotary bandswitch.  I ran a 4-1000A for about four decades, in conventional grid driven, grounded screen grid driven, and grounded grid.  It's a hard tube to kill, but getting harder to find now.

73 de Norm W1ITT
Hi Norm....The relays allow for much shorter lead lengths...I have no 10M capability on this amp...decided against it ...(See Reply #49)  I have several sockets and several more 4-1000s so I will be playing with them...this is the third 4-1000 rig in the shack.  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015