The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:02:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Dispatch Software  (Read 2478 times)
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« on: October 09, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »

I'm still in the process of building my new shack and I'm pulling all the stops. One addition that I just purchased is a Telex IP-223 remote dispatch unit. My goal is to be able to key up my AM stuff remotely over IP. I'm very familiar with connecting this in the shack, but I'm not sure what software options are available for the remote side.

I'm willing to use anything from a Raspberry Pi system up to simply using a laptop to plug-and-play. If going the software route, I don't need lots of bells and whistles and obviously I want something cheap.

I don't want to use a phone app. I'm not looking to be discrete. I did buy a bud case from Harbor Freight last night so I'm sort of looking for the I-Spy image. Something to catch the attention of the mall cop. There's a story there. I was recently circled many times and then finally asked by a mall cop recently, "Sir, what is this setup!?" I was using a 12 volt battery, power inverter, wireless cell phone charger for a hot spot, and of course drawings and a graphing calculator.

Vegas all over again.

Anyway, thoughts?

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »

Anyway, thoughts?

Jon

I bet the guys doing your security clearance had a field day Smiley

--Shane
KD6VXI
ka1tdq

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »

Why?

Also, after thinking about this a little more I'm probably going to need to go the software route. I'll need a server application running on a home computer so that the client software in the field can find home base. The Telex box isn't that smart. It's just a conduit.

So, any cheap server/client packages out there for radio dispatching?

Jon

ka1tdq

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »

Actually, even simpler would be to remote desktop into an application running locally in the shack controlling the IP-223. So, I just need a cheap application that'll key the Telex box.

A remotely controlled Class E / 4-1000 hybrid transmitter and SDR receiver combo. I like it.

Whose laptop controls 5000 watts of RF? Okay, maybe Steve's, but that's it...

Jon

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »

Jon,

Seems the easiest would be Ham Radio Deluxe.  Use the LPT port outputs to drive whatever relays you need via a transistor switch.

You can use something like TEAM Viewer (IIRC) to remote the audio.  I believe that's what I used years ago to enable remote control of my FT857 over the internet.  I had audio and rig control.  This was on a Windows Phone cell phone.

If you don't want to purchase HRD, there are other packages that will allow you 8 different switching abilities (LPT is 8 bit) via the Printer port.  I would <<think>> Fry's still sold them, and they are right down the street from your new house (my kids mom graduated from SM High School, I drove a tow truck there in a previous life LOL).  This would allow you to control more than just key up and key down.  I had control of the linear amp, the radio and a light (to make the kids think the radio room was haunted) from my hand.

As to the security clearance comment...  Because you're always getting questioned by someone :~~~~

--Shane
KD6VXI
ka1tdq

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »

That's definitely an option and I'll consider it when the time comes for that part. There's lots of building to do before then.

But I already purchased the IP-223 and they are very robust. I already have an event sequencing box, so I just need one relay to throw.

I'll just keep my eye out for a good software package.

Questions are overrated.

Jon

KF7WWW

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »

Only software I’ve ever used with an ip223 is C-Soft.. it isn’t cheap!
ka1tdq

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »

That’s the good thing about money. There’s always more of it!

I was looking at C-Soft too, and it’s custom order, so yes, enterprise level stuff.

When the time comes I’ll find a good solution.

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015